View a window across two displays at the same time.

MacOS used to be able to have a single window visible partly on one display and partly a second. It was very helpful for referencing items or visuals. Now when I move a window to be visible across two screens it dims on the secondary one as I move it and then disappears completely from that screen when I release the mouse button. I'd like to go back to that original ability. I don't see any settings to manage that behavior. Am I overlooking the setting somewhere?

MacBook Pro (2021)

Posted on Apr 27, 2023 1:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2023 1:37 PM

System Settings -> Desktop & Dock -> Displays have separate Spaces (TURN THIS OFF)

logout and log back in, or reboot.

4 replies

May 2, 2023 10:33 AM in response to interact

Sorry, I do not use that mode, and I always put my Dock on the "Left" side of my 32" 4K monitor.

I know in the "Displays have separate Spaces" mode, you can drag your cursor off the bottom of a monitor and the Dock will move to that monitor.

I do not know if that will work for the mode you are using. But you can give it a try.

Dragging off the bottom is not hover at the bottom, but keep moving the mouse or trackpad drag past the bottom edge. If you have the monitors on top of each other, then offset their position just a little bit so one side has a corner that does not slide into the bottom display. Again, I do not know if this will work in this Spaces mode.

You could also tell Displays that the other monitor is the primary monitor, and then the Dock would position to that Display by default.

View a window across two displays at the same time.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.