Do paid-for apple movies which are downloaded expire and have to be re-downloaded after a period of time?

I've purchased several movies from Apple TV and downloaded them for offline viewing. When I attempt to watch them from an external drive, the app freezes and I have for force-quit. Even after creating playlists, same thing.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 13.3

Posted on Apr 27, 2023 4:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2023 6:37 PM

Buy-movies from the iTunes Store would not expire.

Any downloaded file for buy-movies is valid for the device on which or through which it was downloaded. Not to be transferred to other devices. The external drive shouldn’t matter, but the playback device does.

Using the file with AirPlay or Home Sharing would require an online authorization, so that wouldn’t work 100% offline.

I don’t think the Apple TV app is expected to freeze when something is off for downloaded files. It should graciously prompt with an error message if it is unable to do some function.

Buy movies and TV shows from the Apple TV app - Apple Support

(Re)download TV shows and movies that you purchased - Apple Support

For macOS troubleshooting, try these:

Let us know the results of these tests.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 27, 2023 6:37 PM in response to top8305

Buy-movies from the iTunes Store would not expire.

Any downloaded file for buy-movies is valid for the device on which or through which it was downloaded. Not to be transferred to other devices. The external drive shouldn’t matter, but the playback device does.

Using the file with AirPlay or Home Sharing would require an online authorization, so that wouldn’t work 100% offline.

I don’t think the Apple TV app is expected to freeze when something is off for downloaded files. It should graciously prompt with an error message if it is unable to do some function.

Buy movies and TV shows from the Apple TV app - Apple Support

(Re)download TV shows and movies that you purchased - Apple Support

For macOS troubleshooting, try these:

Let us know the results of these tests.

Do paid-for apple movies which are downloaded expire and have to be re-downloaded after a period of time?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.