Why do I have to buy a movie I've already purchased from the Apple Store again?

Hello all,

why do I have to buy a movie I've already purchased from the Apple Store again?

For example, if I want to watch the movies "The Matrix" or "Crocodile Dundee" or "War Games" on my iPad or via the "Apple TV 4K box" on a TV, then the Apple Store prompts me to buy these movies.

However, I have already purchased these movies from the Apple Store and they are also listed in my purchase history.

With many other movies from the Apple Store, I have the same problem of being prompted to buy these movies again.

However, on the Mac where the data is stored in the library, I can watch all of these movies because I have downloaded them.

I have already contacted Apple Support by phone, but they had no solution because they said the problem was not known to Apple. After I sent a list of the movies, I should buy again, to the Apple Support, Apple Support did not get back to me. ;-)

What are the options to solve this problem that apparently Apple and Apple Support are not aware of?

Thank you.

PS:

Friends of mine have the same problem with purchased movies from the Apple Store

Apple TV 4K (3rd generation)

Posted on Apr 29, 2023 4:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 29, 2023 4:48 AM

Have you try to redownload the movie? ,see Redownload TV shows and movies that you purchased

Redownload TV shows and movies that you purchased - Apple Support

Check also -> If there's an issue when you redownload apps, movies, or other content from Apple

If there's an issue when you redownload apps, movies, or other content from Apple - Apple Support

• If you see items in your purchase history but you can't redownload them, report a problem.
  • If you see a message that says, "This device is associated with another Apple ID. You cannot associate this device with another Apple ID for [number] days," you might need to wait to redownload your purchases. 

I have already contacted Apple Support by phone, but they had no solution because they said the problem was not known to Apple. After I sent a list of the movies, I should buy again, to the Apple Support, Apple Support did not get back to me.

Apple Support is the right institution that can help you.

We cannot help you with that, we are also users of Apple products & services like you.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 29, 2023 4:48 AM in response to lowlevelmission

Have you try to redownload the movie? ,see Redownload TV shows and movies that you purchased

Redownload TV shows and movies that you purchased - Apple Support

Check also -> If there's an issue when you redownload apps, movies, or other content from Apple

If there's an issue when you redownload apps, movies, or other content from Apple - Apple Support

• If you see items in your purchase history but you can't redownload them, report a problem.
  • If you see a message that says, "This device is associated with another Apple ID. You cannot associate this device with another Apple ID for [number] days," you might need to wait to redownload your purchases. 

I have already contacted Apple Support by phone, but they had no solution because they said the problem was not known to Apple. After I sent a list of the movies, I should buy again, to the Apple Support, Apple Support did not get back to me.

Apple Support is the right institution that can help you.

We cannot help you with that, we are also users of Apple products & services like you.

Apr 29, 2023 7:00 AM in response to lowlevelmission

I can watch these movies on my Mac without any problem.

But this does not solve the issue with the iPad or Apple TV-box or Apple TV-app on TV sets or mobile devices in general.

Try this:

Tap App Store (from the Dock) -> Preferences.

Place a checkmark -> Automatically download apps purchased on other devices.

You'll probably need to restart your Mac afterwards to apply the change you have made.

On a device -> Go to -> Settings -> App Store -> scroll to Automatic Downloads.

App Downloads -> turn in On.

-> Automatically install free and paid apps purchased on other devices.

Nov 27, 2023 4:03 PM in response to lowlevelmission

I have this same issue. I bought Sin City in Dec 2018 on my AppleTV.

Then when I went to click on it to watch again on my AppleTV, it showed me the price to purchase. So I figured I didn't purchase it like I thought I did, so I purchased again on Sept 9, 2023.

Now it shows 2 copies and it charged me $4.99 for the SAME movie I already purchased. I can't raise this issue online because it says I'm not eligible for a refund. But Apple shouldn't have charged me for a movie I already purchased.

Apr 29, 2023 6:32 AM in response to Raicya

Hello Raicya,

thank you for the info.

I have already re-downloaded the movies that I have purchased in the past.

I can watch these movies on my Mac without any problem.

But this does not solve the issue with the iPad or Apple TV-box or Apple TV-app on TV sets or mobile devices in general.

For example the movie "Crocodile Dundee".

I can re-download this movie from the Apple Store / iTunes Store because I bought this movie some years ago.

But the movie "Crocodile Dundee" is no longer on the Apple Store / iTunes Store.

Maybe therefore it is not possible to watch this movie on an iPad or via the Apple TV-box.

Maybe it's because there is no connection between the Apple servers, where the movies can be re-downloaded again, and the devices like the iPad or the Apple TV box that are connected to the Apple ID. Maybe this is a missing feature in the specification. However, these are only my assumptions ;-)

I have already done this as well: "report a problem".

My devices are also linked to the Apple-ID. This works for most of the movies but not for all.

Thank you.

May 3, 2023 10:40 AM in response to Raicya

Hello Raicya,

now it works without any problems.

However, neither my friends nor I had made any settings or changes. It just works.

Now we can access all purchased movies again, on the Mac as well as on the iPad and mobile devices, even if they are no longer in the iTunes Store. We also no longer get the option to re-purchase the movies we have already purchased. We don't know why it works now, but it does. That's great.

Many thanks for your support.

Why do I have to buy a movie I've already purchased from the Apple Store again?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.