Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

When I created my Apple ID I used my ___@gmail.com mail. Now, I want to create ___@icloud.com mail.

Hi There,

When I created Apple ID I used my ___@gmail.com mail. Now I want to create ___@icloud.com mail as my primary email and Apple ID.

I go through: settings > AppleID > Icloud > Mail > Create.

After I type my wanted **********@icloud.com name, and press 'Done'. A message pops up saying 'Error Turning On Mail' [screenshot below] this happens on my iPhone 12 and I can't finish the process on my Macbook Pro 2013 either.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

iPhone 7, iOS 15

Posted on Apr 30, 2023 11:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 30, 2023 1:50 PM

Is the problem creating an iCloud email address, or is the problem using it as the email address for your Apple ID?

If the latter:

Change your Apple ID - Apple Support

- There's special instructions if you want to change your Apple ID to an @icloud.com address.

"If you try to change your Apple ID to an @icloud.com email address that was created within the last 30 days, you will be asked to try again later."

If the former, you cannot change an @icloud.com primary email address. You can use an alias instead, but with limitations.

Add and manage email aliases for iCloud Mail on iCloud.com - Apple Support - "An email alias is an email address that conceals your actual email address from a recipient. An alias can help you manage the email you receive, and monitor the sources of unwanted messages. You can both send and receive email from an email alias using Mail on iCloud.com.

"With iCloud Mail, you can have up to three active email addresses, and you can turn an email alias on or off at any time. You can also delete email aliases that you no longer want to use. While turning off an email alias is temporary, deleting it is permanent. "

With iCloud Mail, you can have up to three active email addresses,"

"Note: You can’t delete or turn off a primary iCloud Mail address. You can’t use an alias to create a separate Apple ID, and an email alias can’t be converted to a primary iCloud Mail address."

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 30, 2023 1:50 PM in response to Zak_N

Is the problem creating an iCloud email address, or is the problem using it as the email address for your Apple ID?

If the latter:

Change your Apple ID - Apple Support

- There's special instructions if you want to change your Apple ID to an @icloud.com address.

"If you try to change your Apple ID to an @icloud.com email address that was created within the last 30 days, you will be asked to try again later."

If the former, you cannot change an @icloud.com primary email address. You can use an alias instead, but with limitations.

Add and manage email aliases for iCloud Mail on iCloud.com - Apple Support - "An email alias is an email address that conceals your actual email address from a recipient. An alias can help you manage the email you receive, and monitor the sources of unwanted messages. You can both send and receive email from an email alias using Mail on iCloud.com.

"With iCloud Mail, you can have up to three active email addresses, and you can turn an email alias on or off at any time. You can also delete email aliases that you no longer want to use. While turning off an email alias is temporary, deleting it is permanent. "

With iCloud Mail, you can have up to three active email addresses,"

"Note: You can’t delete or turn off a primary iCloud Mail address. You can’t use an alias to create a separate Apple ID, and an email alias can’t be converted to a primary iCloud Mail address."

May 8, 2023 8:30 AM in response to Zak_N

That's one of those messages that make me say you need to contact Apple and ask them what it means.

Refer to this document for ways to contact Apple --> Choose your country or region - Official Apple Support

Select your country (also look for "other" regions), then a product. If you don't see one that handles your issue then keep experimenting with selections until you reach one that gets you a chat session or a telephone call and get the representative to redirect you.

or:

Contact Apple for support and service by telephone --> Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

When I created my Apple ID I used my ___@gmail.com mail. Now, I want to create ___@icloud.com mail.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.