Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Problem setting up iCloud email address

Hi Community,

I am trying to set up an iCloud email address on my Mac. In system settings I click Set Up, and then sync this Mac. At choose an iCloud email address I choose one of the selected options from the drop down and click OK. When it confirms I wish to create it, I click "create" but all it does is send me back to the prior window. I can go through this loop as many times as I like but nothing changes. I have a similar problem if I try the same thing on my iPhone.

Can anyone help with how to resolve this problem? FYI, I have an iCloud+ account.

Posted on Jun 15, 2023 9:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 18, 2023 11:13 PM

Interesting, I am pretty sure the fact that you see iCloud in your Mail settings indicates you have a primary iCloud email address.

Where you see its status as inactive do you have an "Enable this account" checkbox? After you enable it you would likely be able to see your iCloud address. In the image below you would see an "Addresses" list below the "Description" field that would show your iCloud address.

If you cannot enable it or create one, I think your best next step would be to reach out to Apple Support directly. I know you aren't seeing any error but this article seems most relevant to me and contacting them would be the last resort.

If you see a Could Not Create Apple ID or Could Not Set Up iCloud message - Apple Support

"If you see a Could Not Set Up iCloud message

If you see a Could Not Set Up iCloud message, it means that you have exceeded the number of Apple IDs you can set up with iCloud on a single device in one year. 

Why did I see this message?

You may see this message when:

• Signing in with an Apple ID you already created on the web, an Apple TV, or a third-party device, but have not yet set up with iCloud
  • Signing in with an Apple ID that has web-only access to iCloud

What should you do?

If you have another iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Mac, you can try setting up iCloud with your Apple ID on that device. Sign in with your Apple ID, then follow the onscreen steps to start using iCloud. 

Or, if you already have an Apple ID set up with iCloud, sign in with that Apple ID instead. 

If you still need to set up iCloud with this Apple ID, contact Apple Support for help."

If they have a solution that works, first make sure it is ok to share in the community, then reply to your original question with the solution and mark the reply as helpful or solved. That way others seeing this issue could find it much easier than we could.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 18, 2023 11:13 PM in response to Gisbang

Interesting, I am pretty sure the fact that you see iCloud in your Mail settings indicates you have a primary iCloud email address.

Where you see its status as inactive do you have an "Enable this account" checkbox? After you enable it you would likely be able to see your iCloud address. In the image below you would see an "Addresses" list below the "Description" field that would show your iCloud address.

If you cannot enable it or create one, I think your best next step would be to reach out to Apple Support directly. I know you aren't seeing any error but this article seems most relevant to me and contacting them would be the last resort.

If you see a Could Not Create Apple ID or Could Not Set Up iCloud message - Apple Support

"If you see a Could Not Set Up iCloud message

If you see a Could Not Set Up iCloud message, it means that you have exceeded the number of Apple IDs you can set up with iCloud on a single device in one year. 

Why did I see this message?

You may see this message when:

• Signing in with an Apple ID you already created on the web, an Apple TV, or a third-party device, but have not yet set up with iCloud
  • Signing in with an Apple ID that has web-only access to iCloud

What should you do?

If you have another iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Mac, you can try setting up iCloud with your Apple ID on that device. Sign in with your Apple ID, then follow the onscreen steps to start using iCloud. 

Or, if you already have an Apple ID set up with iCloud, sign in with that Apple ID instead. 

If you still need to set up iCloud with this Apple ID, contact Apple Support for help."

If they have a solution that works, first make sure it is ok to share in the community, then reply to your original question with the solution and mark the reply as helpful or solved. That way others seeing this issue could find it much easier than we could.

Jun 15, 2023 11:10 PM in response to Scott-he-him

Thanks.

Below my name on my Apple ID is my custom domain email address. Therefore, I assume I don't have an iCloud email of any type. I don't recall ever setting up a @Me or @Mac address.

The instructions you have pasted in below that are, unfortunately, the same ones I have already followed without success and the reason I started this thread. I just go into a loop when I try to set up the iCloud email.

Interestingly, a friend of mine is having exactly the same issue.

Cheers

Jun 15, 2023 9:59 PM in response to Gisbang

Hello,

Since you have an iCloud+ subscription you already have an Apple ID and an iCloud email address correct? Are you looking to create a second Apple ID/iCloud address, change your Apple ID/iCloud address, or simply create an alias for your existing iCloud address?

I will give information for all three. If something else is what you are intending to do please reply and I will attempt to help with it.

Change your Apple ID - Apple Support

If you are already signed into your Mac and iPhone with an Apple ID you would want to create a second through a browser. Create your Apple ID on another device

"Create your Apple ID on the web

1. Go to appleid.apple.com and click Create Your Apple ID.
  2. Follow the onscreen steps to provide an email address, create a strong password, and set your device region. The email address that you provide will be your new Apple ID.*
  3. Enter a phone number that you can always access.
  4. Check the boxes to subscribe to Apple Updates if you'd like. This keeps you up to date on the latest news, software, products, and services from Apple.
  5. Click Continue.
  6. Follow the onscreen steps to verify your email address and phone number. 

After you verify your email address, you can use your new Apple ID to sign in to the iTunes Store and other Apple services such as iCloud."

Use email aliases in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

I hope this helps.

Jun 15, 2023 10:53 PM in response to Gisbang

Got it. Thanks for replying with more info!

To find your "Apple ID email address" which may or may not be an iCloud address you would go to System Settings > Apple ID (Your Name). Below your name you would see the address.

Depending on how long ago you created it you may have an @Mac or @Me address but both would work the same as an @iCloud address. If you see a third party address, which I think you are describing, you would be able to create an @iCloud address in your iCloud Settings.

Create a primary email address for iCloud Mail - Apple Support

"Create a primary iCloud Mail address on your Mac

1. On your Mac, do one of the following:
    • macOS Ventura 13.3 or later: Choose Apple menu  > System Settings, click [your name] at the top of the sidebar, then click iCloud on the right. Below Apps Using iCloud, click iCloud Mail, then turn on Sync this Mac.
    • macOS Ventura: Choose Apple menu  > System Settings, click [your name] at the top of the sidebar, click iCloud on the right, click iCloud Mail, then click Turn On.
    • macOS 12 or earlier: Choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, click Apple ID, click iCloud, then select iCloud Mail (or Mail).
  1. Follow the onscreen instructions to create an iCloud Mail address.
  2. If you don’t see onscreen instructions after turning on iCloud Mail on your Mac, you already have a primary iCloud email address."

Jun 15, 2023 10:21 PM in response to Scott-he-him

Thank you for your reply. To answer your question, I already have an Apple ID and don't want to change it. I am not aware of having an iCloud email address already though. Is there a way I can check if I set one up on my Apple ID and have forgotten it? I don't remember doing it but it was a long time ago and you never know.

My Apple ID is currently linked to an email on a custom domain that I own. What I am trying to do is get this custom domain set up on iCloud mail; however, the first step is to have an iCloud email - hence my problem - as I am unable to set one up.

Thanks

Jun 17, 2023 7:57 PM in response to Gisbang

Sorry I am late to reply.

When you go into your Mail Settings > Accounts > iCloud (On the left) > Email Address, do you have an @iCloud, @Me, or @MAC address in the dropdown list?

The standard address would be your Apple ID then the @domain. For example Gisbang@icloud.com

If not, you should see a link to edit your addresses which should bring you to iCloud.com. Here you may be able to create one with more success.

Jun 18, 2023 3:56 PM in response to Scott-he-him

Thanks again for the reply.

Unfortunately, this didn't work either. In Mail Settings it says my iCloud email is inactive. I can't see a link to edit addresses, and if I go to add an account using iCloud it sends me back to the Systems Setting page and the same setup loop from my original enquiry.

I am afraid I may be destined to not being able to fix this.

Problem setting up iCloud email address

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.