16" M1 MacBook Pro Types OPTION KEY CHARACTERS (not random symbols but kind of looks like it) FIXED MF FIXED!

Got a brand new 16" M1max MacBook Pro - did an install, went fine, rebooted, and suddenly couldn't enter my password. WTF? Could hear the keyboard "beep" though SOMETIMES. Powered down - searched - no option APPLE PR for ME here! What to do? Don't have a C to A adapter handy for an external keyboard.. ANGER RISING.. reboot into recovery to reinstall. PLEASE ENTER WIFI PASSWORD! I CANNOT TYPE IT! ANGER RISING MORE...

Cannot Install Monetary without WIFI! Undeterred, I went into the TERMINAL.. and then I figured out the OPTION KEY WAS STUCK. The machine is brand spanking new, straight out of the box, so unlikely to me it's damaged. SPRAY WITH AIR... NO CHANGE. POWER OFF... NO CHANGE... OK, CALL APPLE.

After a brief encounter with a poor tech, I got Paul who was knowledgeable and helpful, but pretty diagnosed it as bad keyboard, but it didn't feel right to me... so I told him I was going to reinstall. So I did... and then I rebooted...

AND AFTER IT WAS STILL STUCK! BUT I WAS NOT DETERRED. I BROUGHT UP THE ACCESSIBLY CONTROLS AT THE FRONT OF THE NEW INSTALL, AND BAM! NOW I HAVE AN ON-SCREEN KEYBOARD. AND THE ABILITY TO TOGGLE STICKYKEYS ON/OFF. ONCE I DID IT WORKED.

I typed all this on the very machine I'm complaining about now, and so far it's right as rain. I set it to auto-login for now, and left the on-screen keyboard enabled just in case.

But for now IT WORKS and I saw so many people complaining about the same thing, and few who were tenacious and technical enough to figure it out. NOW FIX IT APPLE! FIX IT! SLOPPY CODING, YOU ARE BETTER THAN THIS APPLE!

Now if you can still login and this happens it's going to be easy to fix, just goto the accessibility and toggle sticky keys on/off for the affected key and the problem will be fixed. But for how long? Don't know. Why? Don't know.

Hope this helps everyone out!

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro18,2

Chip: Apple M1 Max

Total Number of Cores: 10 (8 performance and 2 efficiency)

Memory: 32 GB

System Firmware Version: 8419.41.10

OS Loader Version: 7459.141.1

Serial Number (system): WQTK4Q706Y

Hardware UUID: 6D2FA3A1-E31E-54CC-A616-C0E13D9083B6

Provisioning UDID: 00006001-0014109A14EB801E

Activation Lock Status: Disabled

Posted on May 1, 2023 9:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 2, 2023 5:24 AM

To add a follow up this morning. Still working but I noticed the browser was suddenly downloading pages I clicked rather than loading them. I know why this COULD happen, so I went into Accessibility and toggled sticky keys again, and BOOM solved that problem too. For NOW.

FIX THIS APPLE. PLEASE!

Thanks!

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 2, 2023 5:24 AM in response to Garibaldi Obrien

To add a follow up this morning. Still working but I noticed the browser was suddenly downloading pages I clicked rather than loading them. I know why this COULD happen, so I went into Accessibility and toggled sticky keys again, and BOOM solved that problem too. For NOW.

FIX THIS APPLE. PLEASE!

Thanks!

May 2, 2023 6:01 PM in response to Garibaldi Obrien

Final note. It's happened one more time to me today. Same symptoms - you notice a left click suddenly downloads a web page for no randomly in safari, then wait and suddenly stuck option key... quick trip to ACCESSIBILITY, TOGGLE STICKY KEYS, DONE.

No idea what is triggering it though. No pattern at all that I can notice, but I would definitely keep auto-login on if you can to avoid locking yourself out of the system should it happen to you the way it did to me.

16" M1 MacBook Pro Types OPTION KEY CHARACTERS (not random symbols but kind of looks like it) FIXED MF FIXED!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.