comcast/xfinity emails stopped working on my iphone. (map.comcast.net doesn't support password authentication)

a few of my Comcast email accounts stopped working on my iPhone on February 2023. when i tried to set them up again i get that error. after a bunch of investigating, xfinity has added a security setting called "third party access security" that you need to turn on for each email.

Click on email settings.(upper right gear)

Then in the security.(upper left)

Then select the box under "third party access security".

After enabling it your phone will log in and set everything up just like it used to.

it would have been nice to get an email with an announcement telling us all about the change Comcast!!!

hope this helps!

iPhone 14 Pro Max

Posted on May 2, 2023 12:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 17, 2023 4:46 PM

I've done that multiple times and it makes no difference. I even deleted my comcast email account from my iPhone and re-added it but it won't load.

19 replies

Nov 1, 2023 2:44 PM in response to SravanKrA

I’ve always had Access to Third Party Email Programs checked. But about once every couple of weeks I get errors just trying to send or reply to email while still receiving my email ok, OR, like now, I can’t send or receive my comcast email on both my phone and IPad. My wife also has the problem on her IOS devices. I’ve got to believe this is a Comcast error, not an IOS error because it comes and goes when no new Apple updates or patches have been installed. Really frustrating!

Dec 17, 2023 5:12 PM in response to sandifromnashville

The settings you need to have for Xfinity depend on if you are using an IMAP or POP mail account. Go to Settings > Mail > Accounts > [tap your mail account]. The first section will show if it is IMAP or POP Account.

• Enter you email address
  • The Host Name is "mail.comcast.net" (for POP) or "imap.comcast.net" (for IMAP)
  • The User Name is your entire email address
  • The Password is the same password you would use to login to the xfinity.com website.

The Outgoing Mail Server should say smtp.comcast.net. When you tap on it, you should see it listed as the Primary Server showing it is on. Tap on it again and you can switch it on if it was showing off. Also on this page you will need these settings:

• Host Name is smtp.comcast.net
  • User Name is your complete email address
  • Password is the same password you used before
  • The Use SSL switch should be on
  • Authentication should say Password
  • Server Port is 587

Now go back to the original screen that has Advanced as the last setting that you can change on the account. The Incoming Settings are:

• Use SSL should be on
  • Authentication should be Password
  • Server Port should be 995 (for POP) or 993 (for IMAP)

May 2, 2023 1:27 AM in response to GaryJonJon

This is extracted from Xfinity web site.

"Turn Your Access to Third Party Email Programs On/Off in Xfinity Email

To provide our customers with additional security, we added a new checkbox to the Xfinity Email website. This may affect your ability to manage your Xfinity Email (Comcast.net) through third-party programs like Outlook, Google, Apple Mail, Thunderbird and more.

These programs could expose your Xfinity ID and password to fraud and other risks, including the potential for external programs to read, download and delete emails on your behalf.

If you currently use a third-party program to read your email, the security setting is checked by default. If you don’t currently use a third-party program, the setting is unchecked and you won’t have access to these programs. You can easily change this setting at any time by checking the box and turning on access. Here’s how.

How To Update Email Security Settings

1. Sign in to Xfinity Email using your Xfinity ID and password.
  2. In the top-right corner, click the Gear icon, then select Settings.
  3. Click Security.
  4. Uncheck the box under Third Party Access Security to prevent third-party programs access to your Xfinity Email, or check the box to allow access.

"

Turn Your Access to Third Party Email Programs On/Off in ...

Dec 18, 2023 6:32 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

I’ve done that numerous times also. As I said earlier, I’ve been having this problem on and off for over a year now. But over the last six months, when it fails I can’t get it back for weeks at a time. It still keeps sticking my sent emails in “outgoing server” where they stay until I eventually delete them. The only message I sometimes get is “outgoing server is unavailable”.

Dec 18, 2023 8:05 AM in response to MikeOrn

MikeOrn wrote:

No, not using a VPN. I tried XFINITY support but since we’ve dropped Comcast in our community and switched to Fusion Hotwire, I no longer have an Xfinity account and they won’t help without an active account number. Kind of a catch-22 unless I want to pay to open a new account just to continue using their mail server.

Ah, well, that’s why I stopped using my internet provider’s email services 10 years ago. My current email accounts are iCloud, gmail, an MS Exchange account/Office 365 that I rent through GoDaddy with my own domain and a business account.

comcast/xfinity emails stopped working on my iphone. (map.comcast.net doesn't support password authentication)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.