Hiding the Guest user account

Hi

Does anyone know a way to hide the guest user account from within System Preferences?

MacBook Air (M2, 2022)

Posted on May 2, 2023 2:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 2, 2023 8:05 AM

Allow guests to log in to this computer

Allow guest users to log in to your Mac without entering a password.

• Guest users can’t log in remotely when remote login is turned off in Sharing settings.
  • Guests can’t change user or computer settings.
  • Files created by a guest are stored in a temporary folder, but that folder and its contents are deleted when the guest logs out.
  • If FileVault is turned on, guest users can access Safari, but can’t access your encrypted disk or create files.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 2, 2023 8:05 AM in response to wamoh

Allow guests to log in to this computer

Allow guest users to log in to your Mac without entering a password.

• Guest users can’t log in remotely when remote login is turned off in Sharing settings.
  • Guests can’t change user or computer settings.
  • Files created by a guest are stored in a temporary folder, but that folder and its contents are deleted when the guest logs out.
  • If FileVault is turned on, guest users can access Safari, but can’t access your encrypted disk or create files.

May 2, 2023 3:59 AM in response to wamoh

You are welcome.

Though my original posting with link, appears to have been removed for some unknown reason

AFAIK - the Guest Account is always present even when Disabled

That is for when the computer may have been lost or stolen.

The person who took the computer turns it ON, the Find My if setup originally, can broadcast the location of the computer.

This can be used to inform the Police to track the device and maybe also get it back

If Not, the Owner ( you ) can still place a Activate Lock or even Wipe the Drive of all Data

EDITED

Sounds like a reasonable level protection to me

Hiding the Guest user account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.