Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

iPhone 14 blocking calls on its own

I have read many post about iPhones blocking calls on their own, none of which give a solution that seems to work. I even purchased a new iPhone same problem! I unblock them and they slowly return to blocked. I called apple and they act like this has never been reported before. I have tried taking off call filtering, changing focus settings, unblocking and restarting, updating the phone. I’ve tried it all. I went into the Apple Store and they said, “oh well it’s not happening now, so we can’t help you”. To me it’s very unlike apple to not try to fix something that according to the internet is a common problem. I love apple, but I’m just about done ✅ Apple knows this is a problem and is doing nothing to fix it. I wondering if a new Apple ID would fix the problem. Start fresh, but then I need my photos and contacts to transfer. I’m afraid that this bug will transfer with it and I’m now convinced it’s attached to my apple ID.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 14

Posted on May 2, 2023 6:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 7, 2023 3:42 PM

Apple care says that engineering is aware of this issue. No word on a fix. Mine will block my son's number 3 times a day. I unblock and an hour later it is blocked again without me even touching the phone. They had me wipe the phone and set up again from a backup. Problem went away for a week but now the behavior is back. It blocks him everyday, several times a day. I have followed all the tips mentioned in previous posts along with the advice of the apple care agent. No solution at present. It's crazy and so frustrating. From a VERY tech saavy iphone user.

35 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 7, 2023 3:42 PM in response to Gee489

Apple care says that engineering is aware of this issue. No word on a fix. Mine will block my son's number 3 times a day. I unblock and an hour later it is blocked again without me even touching the phone. They had me wipe the phone and set up again from a backup. Problem went away for a week but now the behavior is back. It blocks him everyday, several times a day. I have followed all the tips mentioned in previous posts along with the advice of the apple care agent. No solution at present. It's crazy and so frustrating. From a VERY tech saavy iphone user.

May 2, 2023 7:04 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

I can assure you this is not an outage. It’s been going on for well over 6 months. The calls are not missed calls, but people do access my voicemail, but as a blocked caller they cannot leave a message. The phone blocks random people and in a week or so I will have a full list of callers that tried to call and were blocked. I’m not aware of a call filtering app of any type. All of the suggested settings have been double checked already and as I mentioned this is my second phone. So is this a Verizon network problem? If so how can the network prompt the phone to block contacts on its own. The phone is not just sending friends to voicemail, it’s blocking them from ever calling again. Other friends with Verizon are not experiencing this issue.

Sep 16, 2023 11:45 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Thanks for the suggestions. I have tried them all and many more. plus multiple sessions with Apple Care Senior Advisors. No solution. I researched the SIM card replacement and that would do nothing. Numbers are not stored on the SIM. I have been sending recordings to apple engineers. Nothing works. The phone will randomly block my son's number without me touching the phone. I unblock him when I notice and then a few hours later the number is blocked again.

Jan 16, 2024 3:09 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Apple has told me this is a known problem and spent two hours trying to fix it before replacing my phone. The new phone is now doing the same thing.

I have gone through every step except replacing the SIM card.

this phone has an e-SIM card, will that help?

this has been a huge nightmare, as my mom has been very sick and the phon Is blocking the healthcare facilities including her room phone.

I am so angry that I switched to iPhone. I should have stayed with Android!

Jan 18, 2024 6:28 AM in response to Gee489

My phone continues to block my husband. Calls with Apple and ATT have not resolved the issue. Started after an update, first I lost his location on Find a Phone and then it started blocking him. If you wipe out your phone and restore from backup, you just copy the glicth back in. We have not seen anything that where the issue is resolved, only by going to a different brand of phone. This is an Apple issue, very frustrating as we have all Apple devices.

May 2, 2023 6:25 PM in response to Gee489

Put out of your mind that it is somehow an Apple-caused fault in your phone; If you believe that you will never fix the problem. There are over a billion iPhones that don’t have this problem.

FIRST: Are there missed calls in Phone/Recents on the phone? If they are not the problem is in the network, because the calls aren’t getting to your phone. Contact your carrier: 

• check with your carrier that they don’t have a local outage, and that you didn’t have any settings that would have immediately invoked voicemail, such as call forwarding.
  • check up on them at Down Detector - Crowdsourced outage checker

If they are in Recents here’s what to check:

• Check the MUTE switch on the left side of the phone, above the volume buttons. It should be towards the screen
  • Check the volume setting. With the Home screen displayed, press the VOLUME UP button on the left side of the phone. It’s above the VOLUME DOWN button.
  • Go to Settings/Phone. There’s a switch for Silence Unknown Callers. If it is on any calls from numbers not in your contacts will go directly to voicemail.
  • Also in Settings/Phone: Make sure Call Forwarding is off.
  • iOS 14 & older: Go to Settings/Do not Disturb. Turn it off if it is on. Also turn off Scheduled. With both off none of the other switches there matter.
  • iOS 15: Go to Settings/Focus, and verify that all focus settings are disabled.
  • iOS 16: Open the Control Center and turn off Focus.
  • Go to Settings/Sounds & Haptics. Make sure there is a sound assigned to Ringtone.
  • Go to Settings/Accessibility/Touch/Call Audio Routing and make sure Auto-Answer Calls is off.
  • Go to Settings/Screen Time/Communications Limits. Tap each of the 2 entries and make sure both are “Everyone"
  • Restart your phone-->Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support
  • Do you now, or did you ever have a call blocking app on your phone?
  • If all else fails, talk your carrier into replacing your SIM card (thanks to ASC user DShelbyD)

Apr 9, 2024 10:58 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Ok, whatever happened to the customer comes first? I'm experiencing this problem as well. Tons of people seem to be having this problem. Apple has enabled all kinds of blocking by enabling focus without being asked to. I repeatedly follow all these instructions to turn focus off. As soon as there's an update, it seems to come back. If I complain like this, instead of the customer's voice being heard, I'm called an Apple-hater. Hey, I've had iPhone and MacBooks, and iPods and iPads since they first came out. Please don't write me off like that. This is incredibly frustrating. I never wanted do not disturb or focus in any way shape or form. I'm the emergency contact for lots of family members. I can't simply add all their numbers to a list as the calls could be coming from a nurse or doctor or firefighter or paramedic that has never called me, but sees my number as the emergency contact on a form. I shouldn't have to disable focus or do not disturb ever - it should never automatically be turned on without my agreeing to allow that to happen, but it does. Someone could die because of this, and yet, Apple and so many of the hard core fans of Apple refuse to see that Apple is causing so much pain and aggravation for so many people. Just read through this thread and so many others that I've seen like this. I know you're trying to help with your list of instructions. I've seen dozens of such lists. I've followed the instructions to in careful detail and yet this seems to keep coming back. Some folks claim I must have accidentally enabled it again. It shouldn't be possibly to so easily enable blocking calls accidentally. I've been in software for over 40 years. I understand how user interfaces can be written to not allow these things to happen. So, sorry, I can not and will not put it out of my mind that Apple has built an interface and experience that leads to myself and so many others be so very frustrated. You can block me and remove me from all Apple forums, or you can listen to your customers, hear that they are frustrated and try to improve the experience for them. I know that's what Steve Jobs would do if he were still alive.

Jan 17, 2024 7:31 PM in response to Gee489

This is not a carrier issue based on the evidence it must be an Apple iOS issue , as you described above calls don't go to voicemail and texts are blocked it is a blocking issue related to the phone and got nothing to do with your carrier. iMessage uses data and can works independently. Also if you turn of Called ID then the call gets through , but is blocked when Caller ID is on.

One question I would be interested in knowing is if those effected are using Apple family ? Many of these are Husband and wife , kids and parents, its a shot in the dark but maybe worth considering ?

You could try to going back to Apple. But I think the only fix I can suggest if all else has failed is to wipe your phone and start from scratch (Do not restore from a back up as this will reinstall the bug). I know this is not an ideal solution but its worth a try .

Jan 17, 2024 8:18 PM in response to phonesman

My calls do go to voicemail, it just never shows as a missed call, or ever ring on my phone. I CAN get texts from the blocked callers.

When I talked to support they told me it was a known problem with some iPhones blocking some Androids and business lines.

The number this new one blocked last night was resolved with a reboot, so I am cautiously hopeful…not quite optimistic.

iPhone 14 blocking calls on its own

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.