How to copy and paste path in mac os?

This is a pain to see that there is no option to copy and paste a path to a location. Always I need to go to the file from the beginning instead just copying and pasting the path. Is there a way to do this? Or why they can't implement like these small features.

Mac mini, macOS 12.5

Posted on May 3, 2023 4:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2023 5:34 AM

With both of your answers, I managed to handle it up to a level. But still, I face this problem when I need to save files from adobe premier pro or illustrator. I mean in the prompt there is no place to paste the path. Please do let me know if there's a way to do this as well. Thanks both of you!!!

Similar questions

12 replies

May 3, 2023 5:53 AM in response to indeewari176

If the Adobe applications are using a normal macOS save panel, and it is minimalized like this:

Click that arrow to expand the save panel so that you have better control over your filesystem directory structure selections. You can grab a corner of the panel and drag to make it larger still, and the Finder's ⌘1 - 4 shortcuts will change your view from icon, list, column, or a gallery respectively.

May 3, 2023 5:19 AM in response to indeewari176

Copy and paste a path where?

You can drag and drop a file from the Finder into the Terminal and the full path will appear on the command line. You can select a file or folder in the Finder and press the option-key while right-clicking and choose Copy "selected item" as pathname. That puts a UNIX file or folder path on the clipboard, ready to paste elsewhere.

Or, if wanting to navigate to said path, see woodmeister50's suggestion.

Apr 19, 2024 8:25 AM in response to WhiteWolfDelta

That search field in the NSOpenPanel interface does not understand a pasted POSIX path, but only file or folder names. As per Luhn_psa's suggestion, click on the Open panel and then use the shift+cmd+G (Go to Folder) dialog to enter a POSIX or tilde path to a file and press return. That icon or list item, depending on the chosen view, will then be highlighted in the panel and will be opened when you press return (Open is the default button).

Jan 19, 2024 10:51 AM in response to indeewari176

Ordinarily, applications that use Apple's Save panel have no provision for pasting any path, as one normally chooses the Save As: filename and changes the folder path via the selector.

However, within a Save panel, If you already pasted the POSIX folder path on the clipboard per my previous post, you can use Luhn_psa's suggestion and invoke a Go To Folder dialog (shift+cmd+G) right in the Save panel, paste the POSIX folder path into it, press return, and the Save panel's Folder selection changes to that path location. Then click Save.

How to copy and paste path in mac os?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.