Preference Error: could not load Sound preference pane

So I’m unable to load the sound preferences. I’m running a late 2013 mac pro, I have a usb ssl12 audio interface. Last night my Mac auto updated (I didn’t know this was selected) and now I can open any sound preferences and Ableton live also fails to open, spen hours last night trying to sort it to no avail.

Mac Pro (2019)

Posted on May 3, 2023 5:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2023 9:05 AM

There is plenty of references to waves:

Launch Daemons:

[Loaded] com.waves.central.InstlHelper.plist (Waves Inc - installed 2023-04-17)

Executable: /Library/PrivilegedHelperTools/com.waves.central.InstlHelper

[Not Loaded] com.waves.daemon.SoundGrid.DisableNetworkRxPolling.plist (Apple - installed 2023-04-04)

Command: /usr/sbin/sysctl -w net.link.generic.system.rxpoll=0

[Loaded] com.waves.daemon.SoundGrid.Helper.plist (Waves Inc - installed 2022-11-26)

Executable: /Library/Extensions/SoundGrid.kext/Contents/Resources/SGHelper

[Other] com.waves.daemon.SoundGrid.Protocol.plist (Not signed - installed 2022-11-26)

Executable: /Applications/Waves/SoundGrid/SoundGrid Driver Control Panel.app/Contents/Resources/SGProtocolService.app/Contents/MacOS/SGProtocolService

Launch Agents:

[Loaded] com.paceap.eden.licensed.agent.plist (PACE Anti-Piracy, Inc. - installed 2023-04-15)

Command: /Library/Frameworks/PACEEdenExperience.framework/Versions/Current/Software Activation /var/tmp/com.paceap.eden.licensed.agent 1

[Other] com.waves.daemon.SoundGrid.DawNodeService.plist (Not signed - installed 2022-11-26)

Command: /Applications/Waves/SoundGrid/SoundGrid Driver Control Panel.app/Contents/Resources/SoundGrid Core Audio Service.app/Contents/MacOS/SGDawNodeService runasservice

[Other] com.waves.wls.agent.plist (Not signed - installed 2023-04-17)

Executable: /Library/Application Support/Waves/WavesLocalServer/WavesLocalServer.bundle/Contents/MacOS/WavesLocalServer

User Launch Agents:

[Other] com.WavesAudio.SoundGridStudioSilent.plist (Not signed - installed 2023-04-17)

Command: /Applications/Waves/SoundGrid Studio/SoundGrid Studio.app/Contents/MacOS/SoundGrid Studio --NoSplashScreen --Minimized

Launch Daemons are in /Library/LaunchDaemons

Launch Agents are in /Library/LaunchAgents

User Launch Agents are in ~/Library/LaunchAgents

To delete daemons you probably should start in Safe Mode.

In Finder, press Command-Shift-G and paste

/Library/LaunchDaemons

and drag the relevant items to the trash, like this one:

com.waves.daemon.SoundGrid.DisableNetworkRxPolling.plist

Similarly, for launch agents and user launch agents, do Command-Shift-G, paste

/Library/LaunchAgents

or

~/Library/LaunchAgents

and drag the relevant items to the trash.

Restart and test.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 5, 2023 9:05 AM in response to AlT-Music

There is plenty of references to waves:

Launch Daemons:

[Loaded] com.waves.central.InstlHelper.plist (Waves Inc - installed 2023-04-17)

Executable: /Library/PrivilegedHelperTools/com.waves.central.InstlHelper

[Not Loaded] com.waves.daemon.SoundGrid.DisableNetworkRxPolling.plist (Apple - installed 2023-04-04)

Command: /usr/sbin/sysctl -w net.link.generic.system.rxpoll=0

[Loaded] com.waves.daemon.SoundGrid.Helper.plist (Waves Inc - installed 2022-11-26)

Executable: /Library/Extensions/SoundGrid.kext/Contents/Resources/SGHelper

[Other] com.waves.daemon.SoundGrid.Protocol.plist (Not signed - installed 2022-11-26)

Executable: /Applications/Waves/SoundGrid/SoundGrid Driver Control Panel.app/Contents/Resources/SGProtocolService.app/Contents/MacOS/SGProtocolService

Launch Agents:

[Loaded] com.paceap.eden.licensed.agent.plist (PACE Anti-Piracy, Inc. - installed 2023-04-15)

Command: /Library/Frameworks/PACEEdenExperience.framework/Versions/Current/Software Activation /var/tmp/com.paceap.eden.licensed.agent 1

[Other] com.waves.daemon.SoundGrid.DawNodeService.plist (Not signed - installed 2022-11-26)

Command: /Applications/Waves/SoundGrid/SoundGrid Driver Control Panel.app/Contents/Resources/SoundGrid Core Audio Service.app/Contents/MacOS/SGDawNodeService runasservice

[Other] com.waves.wls.agent.plist (Not signed - installed 2023-04-17)

Executable: /Library/Application Support/Waves/WavesLocalServer/WavesLocalServer.bundle/Contents/MacOS/WavesLocalServer

User Launch Agents:

[Other] com.WavesAudio.SoundGridStudioSilent.plist (Not signed - installed 2023-04-17)

Command: /Applications/Waves/SoundGrid Studio/SoundGrid Studio.app/Contents/MacOS/SoundGrid Studio --NoSplashScreen --Minimized

Launch Daemons are in /Library/LaunchDaemons

Launch Agents are in /Library/LaunchAgents

User Launch Agents are in ~/Library/LaunchAgents

To delete daemons you probably should start in Safe Mode.

In Finder, press Command-Shift-G and paste

/Library/LaunchDaemons

and drag the relevant items to the trash, like this one:

com.waves.daemon.SoundGrid.DisableNetworkRxPolling.plist

Similarly, for launch agents and user launch agents, do Command-Shift-G, paste

/Library/LaunchAgents

or

~/Library/LaunchAgents

and drag the relevant items to the trash.

Restart and test.

May 5, 2023 7:27 AM in response to AlT-Music

Major Issues:

Anything that appears on this list needs immediate attention.

Automatic updates disabled - Automatic updates are disabled. This computer is at risk of malware infection.

Security updates disabled - Security updates are disabled. This computer is at risk of malware infection.

Apple security disabled - Apple security software is disabled. This computer is at risk of malware infection.

While this may not have caused the present issue, disabling system security is never a good idea.

You should at least turn on Security updates. I do not turn on the automatic OS updates, though. It is best to make sure a backup is in place and wait usually a bit to hear user reactions, in case an update comes with particular problems. But security updates are a different thing.

May 5, 2023 8:38 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

I’ve literally just turned all the updates off while I try to rectify this problem, the thing was running fine, shut down then the next day opened but wouldn’t open ableton live, when it eventually did, sound engine was disabled. This is when I realised. I had a number of issues with waves so this has (I thought) been uninstalled, from the report can you see an indication of where it may still be lingering around?

Preference Error: could not load Sound preference pane

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.