Health app active energy calories higher than move calories.

I have been tracking daily calories burned for quite a while using my Apple Watch SE and the Apple Health App. I have noticed that Active Energy calories will exceed Move calories every day.

The main cause of the difference appears to be Active Energy (bonus) calories given for parts of the day when I have not been wearing the watch. For example, from today's figures, I am getting 1724 Active Energy calories even though I have only got 1055 Move calories, but for every hour of the day I have not worn the watch (including future hours in the day) I am given 40.5 (bonus) calories.

Generally, the number of (bonus) calories I get increases as I get more move calories. So for example when I first wake up and start wearing my watch, the (bonus) calories will be about 0-1 calories per hour. As I exercise the (bonus) calories keep jumping at random points throughout the day. For example 0 -> 5 -> 24 -> 40 -> 55 -> 76 calories in every hour that I do not have watch data. Over the course of the day (if I am doing significant exercise) it is not uncommon to have 90-100 (bonus) calories for every hour of the day that I did not wear the watch. This includes the early morning before I wake up and after I take the watch off to sleep.

Other points to note: I am not starting any workouts on the watch or phone at any point of the day. I simply put the watch on in the morning and let it track the steps/exercise minutes/calories in its default state. I am also not using any third-party apps to monitor workouts on most days (including today). On the few occasions I have used an app to monitor workouts, the results remain the same.

My main question is whether these (bonus) Active calories are expected/designed to account for something that Move calories do not. Or should Active and Move calories always be identical and those (bonus) calories should be ignored?

Apple Watch SE

Posted on May 3, 2023 7:43 PM

Similar questions

There are no replies.

Health app active energy calories higher than move calories.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.