Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

iPhone Volume changing despite being dialed all the way up?

I have a IPhone 12 Mini running 16.4.1. I usually listen to music through headphones but on the rare occasion I listen to music straight from the phone I have an issue where the volume lowers itself to almost inaudible despite having been turned all the way up. When I press the volume up button it always shows that the volume is dialed all the way up but nothing changes. Playing the music through the phone speakers also kills my battery completely; Depleting a 70% or higher battery to 20% or lower in less than 30 minutes. It’s not the worst cause I don’t usually use my phone speakers but sometimes I like to play music in the back at work but its annoying to have a constantly changing volume and a dead cellphone by the time I leave for the day. Any ideas?

iPhone 12 mini

Posted on May 5, 2023 7:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2023 5:14 AM

My volume goes back down when set. Can’t get it to stay loud. I am hard of hearing

Similar questions

32 replies

May 5, 2023 9:14 PM in response to Alykat64

If the volume on your iPhone lowers automatically while listening to music, there are several possible causes and solutions:

1. Check for Sound Check: Sound Check is a feature in the Music app that normalizes the volume level of songs. Go to Settings > Music > Sound Check and turn it off. This may prevent the volume from changing automatically.
  2. Check for EQ Settings: If you have customized EQ settings in the Music app, it may cause the volume to change automatically. Go to Settings > Music > EQ and select "Off" to turn off all equalizer settings.
  3. Check for Restrictions: If you have enabled Restrictions on your iPhone, it may prevent the volume from going too high. Go to Settings > Screen Time > Content & Privacy Restrictions > Allowed Apps and make sure that the Music app is not restricted.
  4. Check for Software Updates: If the issue persists, check for any available software updates for your iPhone. Go to Settings > General > Software Update and see if there are any updates available.

If none of these solutions work, you may want to contact Apple Support for further assistance.

Jan 26, 2024 3:38 PM in response to Alykat64

I have the opposite problem. I turn my phone volume all the way down (audio volume, not ringtone. Ringtone is always on mute, of course) but when I go to play a video, volume goes right back to where it was before I turned the volume down, then I have to turn it down again. I have to wait until a video plays before turning the volume down again if I want it to stay. Kinda sucks if I’m trying not to wake someone up or disturb someone nearby.

Dec 27, 2023 2:41 PM in response to ristianchrathke

I bought and paid for my phone I OWN it. I know that Apple prides itself listening to the W. H.O. Guidelines. Well I tell you when WHO or Apple Pay’s my bills then they can tell me not to listen to MUSIC , Headphones too loud. You have NO right to CONTROL my choices even if it is bad for me. Does APPLE go out and take drugs away from addicts? Does the WHO take drugs away from addicts. They have the money to destroy any and all flow of drugs if they wanted to. Go control someone that wants to be your robot. Sad you can t really own anything out right anymore.

Feb 17, 2024 3:57 PM in response to Alykat64

This is an issue with connecting third party earbuds (anything but Airpods or Beats). It's an intended feature for those outside their ecosystem, they know it, and they should be ashamed of it.

After doing some research this has been going on for around ten years. If you connect any third party BT audio device, the ringer volume lowers itself, which is understandable. However it doesn't correct to the last setting when you disconnect, and doesn't provide an option to turn it off as a preference. They've made it clear you either buy their $250 earbuds, or you deal with having your volume settings changed unwillingly. It happens automatically when you connect, they can make it change back when you disconnect, they just don't.

And for all the reps replying with "check face awareness settings" are you kidding me? You work for this company. Depart from the script for two seconds and acknowledge the actual issue.

Apple. Fix it. This is absolutely ridiculous.

May 5, 2023 9:15 PM in response to Alykat64

Your iPhone and the country that you live in protect you with the safety norms. Due to regulations and safety standards, headphone notifications can't be turned off in certain countries or regions.

Reduce loud headphone sounds in Settings · Go to Settings , then tap Sounds & Haptics (iPhone 7 and later) or Sounds (earlier models). · Tap Headphone Safety.

Use headphone audio level features on iPhone - Apple Support

Headphone notifications on your iPhone, iPod touch, or Apple Watch

1. Open the Settings app on your iPhone or iPod touch.
  2. Tap Sounds & Haptics, then tap Headphone Safety.
  3. Turn Headphone Notifications on or off.

Headphone notifications on your iPhone, iPod touch, or Apple ...

Mar 24, 2024 7:52 AM in response to Alykat64

The volume is all of a sudden lower in all older iPhone models. My wife’s is newer, and hers didn’t have a problem. I will look at this like Apple did this intentionally to make us all buy newer phones.

Needs to figure this out and come up with an update to fix it immediately. Some of us just don’t want air pods bro. Stop limiting the use of our devices.

Mar 16, 2024 9:08 AM in response to Alykat64

I had the same problem with my iPhone 12 mini volume lowering on its own. I called Apple Support and the person I spoke with didn’t know how to stop this from happening.

This solution offered by SravanKrA in this discussion seemed to have worked for me:

1. Check for Sound Check: Sound Check is a feature in the Music app that normalizes the volume level of songs. Go to Settings > Music > Sound Check and turn it off. This may prevent the volume from changing automatically.

iPhone Volume changing despite being dialed all the way up?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.