Web pages crash all the time in Safari on iPhone

This page encountered a problem. Or a problem repeatedly occurred. All. The. Time. Zooming makes it worse/happen faster. Other times, just going to sites triggers this. it has been happening for years and it has become maddening. This kind of a bug is honestly just inexcusable at this point and and anyone working on Safari should be ashamed to have their name associated with the product it works like a third world space exploration program.

I have the latest iOS 16.4.1. I always update and install the latest versions. I’ve cleared history and cache and everything else I can think of. Ot happens on different iPhones that are also different models. This one is a 13 Pro. The only “pro” in Safari is how profoundly often pages won’t render. Other browsers don’t have these problems. Only Safari, you know, the browser that comes with the phone and is developed by Apple who also developed said phone it should run well on.

And while I’m at it, scrolling sites with ads often causes text to not display at all after a certain point. it really makes my day when I scroll past an ad on a page and then can scroll infinitely more while only seeing a blank page background until I reload the page and lose my place (no, it doesn’t).

[Re-Titled By Moderator]

iPhone 13 Pro

Posted on May 5, 2023 7:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2024 11:00 PM

The only app I experience issues with is Safari - and it's almost every webpage I use now. I've done all the steps, but they don't work. I can see I’m clearly not the only person having this issue.

25 replies

May 2, 2024 6:10 PM in response to sypoltsystems

This is definitely on Apple to fix. I noticed the issue possibly as far back as iOS 15. I notice that it happens on pages that load a lot of ads or have long-running JavaScript in the background. Web pages that heavily track users are more prone to crashing as well.

I'm fairly certain this is related to browser protections fighting against webpages. It could be stopping tracking scripts that are reloading and causing an error when they are stopped abruptly.

We'll have to wait on an update from Apple.

Feb 13, 2024 11:53 PM in response to rayloricred183

First, that's not the norm - tens of millions of people use Safari on their iPhones daily without any crashing issues whatsoever.

Second, the APIs used by Safari, known as WebKit, are the basis of all web browsers on iOS.

Other web browsers are just different graphical shells and handle bookmarks and cookies differently but still use the underlying WebKit APIs.

WebKit | Apple Developer Documentation

If you still see regular crashes using Safari, I highly recommend you make an appointment to have your phone examined, it's most likely a hardware memory issue with your device:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

May 7, 2024 9:07 AM in response to sypoltsystems

My safari was crashing and up-scrolling while I was mid-read in a news articles and resetting webpages repeatedly until I got the message about “safari has encountered repeated errors”…..the way I finally stopped it was to turn off “Privacy Preserving Ad Measurement” in Safari advanced settings. All the glitching nonsense was gone instantly and completely. I don’t know enough about software and coding to be able to say what is wrong, but my best logical guess is that the error is on Apple’s end not the phone or the websites fault.

And off topic: I was a Samsung user for a decade and I switch to iPhone for my kids and I have regretted every single moment. I feel like the iPhone is stepping back to the days of dial up internet service where every program glitched, and each machine was incompatible with all other machines and any task took forever. While Samsungs are fast, efficient and compatible with any and all other devices except iPhones.

THAT IS SIMPLY MY OPINION.

May 5, 2023 9:09 PM in response to sypoltsystems

If you are experiencing any difficulty with third-party apps or a specific website then please contact the app developer or site publisher/host directly. Here is how

Feb 19, 2024 8:01 PM in response to Dogcow-Moof

Dogcow-Moof Said:

"It's a misbehaving web page. Safari detects when the page is working improperly and notifies you rather than crash. I use a lot of different web sites and only see this issue very, very rarely."

-------

Use Another Web Browser:

So, what are these Web pages to speak of? Note that not all sites are too fond of Safari. Schools and Banks typically have this issue.

May 24, 2024 1:58 PM in response to Dogcow-Moof

This is interesting. How could one possibly know that “tens of millions of people use Safari on their iPhones daily without any crashing issues whatsoever?” I would argue that a small number of people stumbling into this discussion forum and taking the time to type out this complaint in detail likely conveys a widespread issue. The lack of vocal or written complaint from the majority of users would not be evidence of proper functioning in any scenario, but complaints of crashing from a few hundred users would certainly be evidence of a potential trend at the least. Imagine if NHTSA applied your logic to recalls for safety concerns on vehicles. “So what that 45 people driving this type of car have been in accidents where their airbags didn’t deploy? We haven’t heard anything about an issue from the other 15,000 vehicle owners. It’s clearly operator error…”

May 6, 2023 5:36 AM in response to sypoltsystems

sypoltsystems Said:

"Web pages crash *all the tine* in Safari: I do this pretty much every day. This isn’t a misbehaving app. It’s something systematic with Safari, and unfortunately, closing apps and restarting don’t work.

———-

Troubleshooting iOS Safari:

Safari is a builtin app that comes with the iOS. So, check your iPhone for updates.

As a last resort…

Set Up your iPhone Anew:

Set this up anew, as if you were to sell it. Perform as instructed here, including the iCloud logout and backup creation:  What to do Before you Sell, Give Away, or Trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support. Backup what need be, prior to performing this. All would go to default, and the bugs and glitches would be expected to go away.

Feb 20, 2024 3:35 PM in response to Dogcow-Moof

Dogcow-Moof Said:

"No idea; I personally don't come across them all that often.: Frankly, YouTube seems to trigger the issue more often than most."

-------

Reply with a Screenshot:

Take a screenshot of this message next time you see it, and reply back. Rarely though it may be, seeing the message would most certainly help. If you recall the message's wording, then google it in Google Images, and then reply back with what the image. When an app crashes, something is not responding. Streaming something on your device on a public LAN, you may be using too much of the services, and you're being kicked off.

Web pages crash all the time in Safari on iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.