Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

since last update Pages is unresponsive on Macbook air

SInce last update to mac os ventura 13.3.1(a) Pages is not responsive when I want to open. I tried press shift and double clic(which worked with other apps), re-install the app and nothing works. What do I need to do to make it works please?

MacBook Air (M1, 2020)

Posted on May 6, 2023 9:27 AM

17 replies

May 6, 2023 1:38 PM in response to Kmum

Click the Pages application icon in your /Applications folder and press option+cmd+i to open an information panel. What version is shown for Pages? It should be v13, and if not, then update it through the Mac App Store.

Also, press and hold the shift key when launching Pages, and it will skip loading its last saved execution state which may have been a crash, and then it should work fine. Otherwise, reboot your Mac.

Oct 31, 2023 7:58 AM in response to zshort7

My character is just fine, and I wasn't being rude asking for elementary information that would help me help you.

So you have Sonoma 14.0 and Pages v13.2, the last currently available version of Pages. There is a Sonoma 14.1 update, but I doubt that would solve any immediate issue with Pages.

So back to that document on your Desktop. What dialog error message does Pages give you when you attempt to open that document?

Oct 31, 2023 8:40 AM in response to zshort7

Is this a Word document, or a Pages document that cannot open. Whenever you do a force quit, your next launch of Pages should be by holding down the shift key while it launches. Then try opening the document in question.

Has the document that Pages does not open ever been opened on Windows, or on Google Drive, or Dropbox? Any of those choices may have damaged it, though Pages should throw a dialog to that effect.

Oct 31, 2023 9:05 AM in response to zshort7

Pages is not going to open that document for some reason. Hopefully, you have been using Time Machine from before Pages failed to open that document. If you do not perform hourly Time Machine backups to an external drive, you can ignore the rest of this post.

Rename the problematic Pages document. From the menu extras panel, click on the Spotlight 🔍 icon and enter the following in its panel:

machine

You should have two entries for Time Machine, and click the one associated with Applications. This will launch Time Machine and a series of Finder windows will stack on screen. Locate the Pages document on the Desktop of these windows, and then go back in time to before you could not open the Pages document. Select it and click Restore. That document will be saved to your Desktop, where you can reattempt an effort to open it in Pages.

since last update Pages is unresponsive on Macbook air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.