How to disable the sos slider function with the side buttons

I have a disability, and often when I am in a call and I need to increase or decrease the volume - my call is ended and the sos slider comes up because of an incredibly poor design pressing the buttons of opposite sides of the phone which are placed where many people with grip issues would need to be holding to be able to press the volume button.

how do I disable this completely or change it to something accessible for someone like myself.

Posted on May 7, 2023 6:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 7, 2023 6:25 AM

Hi!

While I don't believe there's a way to completely disable the feature, you can change it so that it won't call the emergency services when holding down the buttons:

1. Open Settings
  2. Tap Emergency SOS
  3. Toggle off 'Call with Hold and Release'

I understand if this wasn't the answer you were looking for. Apple highly emphasises accessibility in their products, so I highly recommend sending feedback directly to them regarding this: Feedback - iPhone - Apple.

Have a nice day!

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 7, 2023 6:25 AM in response to LilyPtart

Hi!

While I don't believe there's a way to completely disable the feature, you can change it so that it won't call the emergency services when holding down the buttons:

1. Open Settings
  2. Tap Emergency SOS
  3. Toggle off 'Call with Hold and Release'

I understand if this wasn't the answer you were looking for. Apple highly emphasises accessibility in their products, so I highly recommend sending feedback directly to them regarding this: Feedback - iPhone - Apple.

Have a nice day!

May 7, 2023 6:18 AM in response to LilyPtart

You may get better and prompt responses if you may kindly provide the iPhone Model that you have and the iOS version if it is known to you and re-post.

With the limited information that you have provided, It is hard to even guess the problems faced by you. 

You may get faster and better responses to your query by --> Writing an effective Apple Support Commun… - Apple ...

Please re-post with detail so that someone else can help.

May 7, 2023 6:18 AM in response to LilyPtart

Call emergency services if you're in India

In India, rapidly press the side button three times, then your iPhone automatically calls emergency services. Or, if you have an iPhone with FaceID and Accessibility Shortcut is turned on, press and hold the side button and either volume button until the sliders appear, then drag Emergency SOS.

If you continue to hold down the side button and volume button, instead of dragging the slider, a countdown begins and an alert sounds. If you release the buttons after the countdown, your iPhone automatically calls emergency services.

After an emergency call ends, your iPhone alerts your emergency contacts with a text message, unless you choose to cancel. Your iPhone sends your current location (if available) and — for a period of time after you enter SOS mode — your emergency contacts receive updates when your location changes.

May 7, 2023 6:20 AM in response to LilyPtart

Change how you make SOS call

On iPhone 8 or later, your iPhone can automatically call emergency services. When Call with Hold and Release is turned on and you hold the side button and one of the volume buttons to make an emergency call, your iPhone begins a countdown and sounds an alert. If you release the buttons after the countdown ends, your iPhone automatically calls emergency services.

When Call with 5 Button Presses is turned on and you try to make an emergency call, your iPhone begins a countdown and sounds an alert. After the countdown ends, your iPhone automatically calls emergency services.

Call Quietly is available in iOS 16.3 and later. When Call Quietly is turned on and you try to make an emergency call with one of these options, any warning alarms and flashes will be silenced.

To turn these settings on:

1. Open the Settings app on your iPhone.
  2. Tap Emergency SOS.
  3. Turn Call with Hold and Release, Call with 5 Button Presses, or Call Quietly on.

If you turn off Call with Hold and Release or Call with 5 Button Presses, you can still use the Emergency SOS slider to make a call.

May 7, 2023 4:18 PM in response to SravanKrA

Hi, I’m specifically asking how to DISABLE this. Not how it works and how to enable/turn on.

I have already looked at this setting. I was to fully disable the whole feature as the activation buttons are my issue due to their placement.

This response was not useful and is the opposite of what I was asking.

Thank you though for taking the time to try and resolve!

How to disable the sos slider function with the side buttons

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.