can I connect two monitors to my Mac air?

can I connect two monitors to my Mac air M2?

Posted on May 7, 2023 5:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 7, 2023 9:37 AM

chrisrice1977 wrote:

can I connect two monitors to my Mac air M2?

From the Apple MacBook Air M2 Tech Specs: MacBook Air with M2 chip - Tech Specs - Apple

"Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display at 1 billion colors and:

One external display with up to 6K resolution at 60Hz"

7 replies

May 7, 2023 10:37 AM in response to chrisrice1977

chrisrice1977 wrote:

strange, there are two ports and I have the m2 but doesn’t recognize the 2nd external monitor.

All M1 and all M2 support up to two displays, one of which must always be the internal display when equipped.

Here’s the relevant part of the MacBook Air M2 doc:

Use an external display with your MacBook Air - Apple Support

From that: ”You can attach one external display with up to 6K resolution at 60Hz.”

Macs with M1 Pro, M1 Max, M1 Ultra, M2 Pro, and M2 Max Apple silicon processors can support more than two displays.

May 7, 2023 10:20 AM in response to a brody

a brody wrote:

That's odd, why then the two USB-C ports on some MacBook Airs. Has anyone tried to use an adapter such as the one from SIIG that supports monitors? I mean perhaps the combined resolution is limited by the graphics card.

The other thing to consider is AppleTV. You can extend to a second display over WiFi, although HDCP video will not transmit over that.

You can physically attach more than one external display but the resolution and performance will be deteriorated and unacceptable. See this article. It specifically mentions the M1 and not the M2 but they are similar.

Connect one or more external displays with your Mac - Apple Support

"For Mac computers with the Apple M1 Chip: You can connect a single external display to your Mac. Docks don’t increase the number of displays you can connect."

The M2 Pro and M2 Max support more than one external display.

May 7, 2023 10:00 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

That's odd, why then the two USB-C ports on some MacBook Airs. Has anyone tried to use an adapter such as the one from SIIG that supports monitors? I mean perhaps the combined resolution is limited by the graphics card.

The other thing to consider is AppleTV. You can extend to a second display over WiFi, although HDCP video will not transmit over that.

can I connect two monitors to my Mac air?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.