Where are subtitles, volume, and other playback settings while streaming Apple TV+ on a web browser (Windows)?

I just subscribed to Apple TV+. But while streaming any Apple TV+ show on my computer, the video player doesn't have any playback settings or buttons except for a fullscreen button and a close button. There isn't even a pause button. I can only pause/play by clicking on the video itself or pressing the spacebar. Hovering my mouse over the video player doesn't bring up any additional buttons either.

I am hard of hearing and I need subtitles to watch most shows and movies. I don't own a smart TV or other external streaming device, so the only way I can stream shows is on my computer via Chrome. This is very frustrating and upsetting that there is no way to access any accessibility options (or any options) on Apple TV+.

From what I can tell from some googling, the Apple TV+ app on streaming devices has the typical playback options you would find on every other streaming service. But for some reason, the browser version doesn't. I haven't found any explanation for this, nor is anyone really talking about it. I found one post on this forum from November 2022 with someone asking the same question, but there weren't any responses that were helpful.

Am I missing something? Are there some secret settings I can access to turn on subtitles? I'm not going to buy a smart tv just so I can watch a show that I am already paying Apple for. So if I can't figure out how to turn on subtitles using my computer web browser, I'll just cancel my subscription.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I also looked at the settings on the tv.apple.com website, but there are no playback settings there either. It is only general account settings and parental controls.

Attached is a picture of what I see. I circled in red the only buttons that appear.

Windows

Posted on May 7, 2023 1:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 7, 2023 1:47 PM

UPDATE and SOLUTION: Turns out all I needed to do was update Chrome. Now it works. I'm gonna go ahead and just take the hit to my pride on this one.

On a whim, I decided to check for updates on Chrome. I can't remember the last time I manually had to update Chrome, as it usually does it automatically. Well it turns out there WAS an update. I updated chrome and now the playback settings (including subtitles) are available.

So for anyone experiencing this issue with Apple TV+ in a web browser, ensure that you are using the latest version of Chrome, or whatever browser you are using. I'm not sure why that would affect something like the pause button showing up on the video player, but evidently it does.

If you need help updating your Chrome browser:

1. open Chrome
  2. click the three dots on the top-right corner
  3. click "Help"
  4. click "About Google Chrome"
  5. Chrome will automatically check for updates on this page. If an update is available, allow it to download/install
  6. Relaunch Chrome.
  7. Stay humble

Here is what I am seeing now after the update (compared to the image in my original post)

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 7, 2023 1:47 PM in response to vinnybonboot

UPDATE and SOLUTION: Turns out all I needed to do was update Chrome. Now it works. I'm gonna go ahead and just take the hit to my pride on this one.

On a whim, I decided to check for updates on Chrome. I can't remember the last time I manually had to update Chrome, as it usually does it automatically. Well it turns out there WAS an update. I updated chrome and now the playback settings (including subtitles) are available.

So for anyone experiencing this issue with Apple TV+ in a web browser, ensure that you are using the latest version of Chrome, or whatever browser you are using. I'm not sure why that would affect something like the pause button showing up on the video player, but evidently it does.

If you need help updating your Chrome browser:

1. open Chrome
  2. click the three dots on the top-right corner
  3. click "Help"
  4. click "About Google Chrome"
  5. Chrome will automatically check for updates on this page. If an update is available, allow it to download/install
  6. Relaunch Chrome.
  7. Stay humble

Here is what I am seeing now after the update (compared to the image in my original post)

Where are subtitles, volume, and other playback settings while streaming Apple TV+ on a web browser (Windows)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.