Ipod Video 5th gen software deleted

So i tried to fix my Ipod by using the disk utility since it cant be detected by apple music

But then, i tried to delete the files and it so happened to delete the software from the ipod itself. And now it says "Connect to your computer. Use itunes to restore." Since itunes is no longer a thing, i only have the Apple Music.

But since it cant detect the ipod i have don't got a clue on how to restore it.

It only recognized as a hard drive in finder, but sometimes it show up and does not, is there anyway out of this?

p.s. My OS is Monterey 12.6.5

Posted on May 7, 2023 10:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 8, 2023 12:29 AM

Refer to the following Apple article about using Finder to manage the iPod: Restore your iPhone, iPad or iPod to factory settings – Apple Support (UK). Ignore the parts about iTunes, go to the third section; Restore your device to factory settings, which has specific steps when using Finder, as well as what to do if your iPod is not recognised by Finder.

Towards the bottom of that page is a heading If you can't access a computer, but this will not apply to you with an iPod Classic.

Also, ignore anything to do with Apple Music, which is a subscription service to access streamed music (in other words, online listening). But you cannot use that on an iPod Classic.

The display that we can see in your picture suggests that there may be unrecoverable issues with your iPod. The following tip from user turingtest2 may help you: Corrupt iPod Classic - Apple Community

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 8, 2023 12:29 AM in response to RajaMamur

Refer to the following Apple article about using Finder to manage the iPod: Restore your iPhone, iPad or iPod to factory settings – Apple Support (UK). Ignore the parts about iTunes, go to the third section; Restore your device to factory settings, which has specific steps when using Finder, as well as what to do if your iPod is not recognised by Finder.

Towards the bottom of that page is a heading If you can't access a computer, but this will not apply to you with an iPod Classic.

Also, ignore anything to do with Apple Music, which is a subscription service to access streamed music (in other words, online listening). But you cannot use that on an iPod Classic.

The display that we can see in your picture suggests that there may be unrecoverable issues with your iPod. The following tip from user turingtest2 may help you: Corrupt iPod Classic - Apple Community

May 12, 2023 5:37 AM in response to RajaMamur

The problem appears to be with your computer, rather than the device. I suggest that you start a discussion on this issue in the Music on Mac community: https://discussions.apple.com/community/music/music-on-mac, where there may be more expertise than there is here. In other words, people who know about the Mac may not have an iPod, so may not be looking at questions posted here.

May 7, 2023 11:09 PM in response to RajaMamur

So i tried to fix my Ipod by using the disk utility since it cant be detected by apple music

But then, i tried to delete the files and it so happened to delete the software from the ipod itself. And now it says "Connect to your computer. Use itunes to restore." Since itunes is no longer a thing, i only have the Apple Music.

But since it cant detect the ipod i have don't got a clue on how to restore it.

It only recognized as a hard drive in finder, but sometimes it show up and does not, is there anyway out of this?

p.s. My OS is Monterey 12.6.5

May 10, 2023 12:32 AM in response to RajaMamur

RajaMamur wrote:

That's the problem, finder does not recognize it as an Ipod but rather an external hard drive instead.

As stated, I'm not familiar with Mac OS, but are you saying that you do not get a screen very similar to this one, that's shown in the article about restoring your device?:

You will not see screens that look like iTunes.

Ipod Video 5th gen software deleted

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.