Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

iPadOS 16.4.1 External Monitor Aspect Ratio / Resolution

I have a LG ultra wide (WQHD) 35" curved monitor. My 2020 MacBook Pro (M1) displays movies on this monitor beautifully because the ultra wide aspect ratio is the same (or at least very close) as most movies, and the WQHD resolution is very good. Setting the resolution / aspect ratio in OSX is intuitive.

But I also have a 2022 5th generation iPad Air (iPadOS 16.4.1). It will play movies on the ultra wide monitor but the picture is small when mirroring the iPad display, and when I turn off mirroring the ultra wide display shows black bars at the top and bottom and the picture is extremely distorted (stretched horizontally). I don't see anywhere in the iPadOS to set the resolution / aspect ratio.

Am I missing something or will the M1 iPad Air not display properly on a WQHD external monitor?

iPad Air (5th generation)

Posted on May 8, 2023 1:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 8, 2023 6:32 AM

iPadOS has no native controls to set the screen aspect ratio. When mirroring to an external monitor/TV, the iPad will display a mirrored copy of the iPad screen - preserving the iPad screen native aspect ratio; when mirroring, you will see black bars to left/right and/or top/bottom as determined by the external display.

While iPad can support external 16:9 displays, I’ve not seen any documentation that suggests support for WQHD or other ultra-wide displays.

If you see distorted images when using an external display, ensure that the monitor’s own controls are not set to “fit” (i.e. stretch) video to match the display aspect ratio.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 8, 2023 6:32 AM in response to billkoss

iPadOS has no native controls to set the screen aspect ratio. When mirroring to an external monitor/TV, the iPad will display a mirrored copy of the iPad screen - preserving the iPad screen native aspect ratio; when mirroring, you will see black bars to left/right and/or top/bottom as determined by the external display.

While iPad can support external 16:9 displays, I’ve not seen any documentation that suggests support for WQHD or other ultra-wide displays.

If you see distorted images when using an external display, ensure that the monitor’s own controls are not set to “fit” (i.e. stretch) video to match the display aspect ratio.

iPadOS 16.4.1 External Monitor Aspect Ratio / Resolution

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.