Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

ipad freezes when apple pen is charging!!

infos:

ipad type: 9th generation

pencil type: 1st generation

there is something wrong with my apple pen, i have been using that pen for 2-3 years (?) and this is the first time its ever been super broken.

a few days ago it was fine, but now when i try to charge the pen sometimes it doesnt connect, and today when i try to charge the pen into my ipad, the pen completely freezes my ipad, but if i take the pen off the ipad, then its stops freezing, and on top of that, when the ipad is freezing the pen doesnt even charge!!

please tell me how to fix it!!

iPad, iPadOS 16

Posted on May 8, 2023 11:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 9, 2023 4:04 AM

As described, your Apple Pencil battery may have failed - or reached the end of its usable lifespan. All rechargeable batteries are consumable items that will eventually not accept charge.

If your Pencil is causing your iPad to freeze or otherwise malfunction when connected, the Pencil may have a more serious fault. You would be well advised to not attempt to charge the Pencil directly from the iPad until the issue has been investigated.

You would be best advised to visit the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - where the technicians will be able to test and assess your iPad and Pencil. If a fault is identified, you’ll be in the best possible place to explore your available options:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 9, 2023 4:04 AM in response to refuuxox

As described, your Apple Pencil battery may have failed - or reached the end of its usable lifespan. All rechargeable batteries are consumable items that will eventually not accept charge.

If your Pencil is causing your iPad to freeze or otherwise malfunction when connected, the Pencil may have a more serious fault. You would be well advised to not attempt to charge the Pencil directly from the iPad until the issue has been investigated.

You would be best advised to visit the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - where the technicians will be able to test and assess your iPad and Pencil. If a fault is identified, you’ll be in the best possible place to explore your available options:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

ipad freezes when apple pen is charging!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.