Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

How do I reset my iMac to factory settings

I have a late 2015 iMac, on Monterey and am giving it to my dad. I need to reset it to factory settings, but cannot figure out out to do so. Also, I am using a Windows keyboard, so if there is a series of actions I need to take upon startup, can you tell me which keys those would be on this keyboard?

Posted on May 9, 2023 5:21 AM

2 replies

Apr 17, 2024 3:26 PM in response to Rudegar

Is this process the same thing Apple means when they say to restore to Factory Settings. I have a similar iMac that has an inactive Apple ID and no activation lock. The link from the legacy help doesn’t include what to do with computers. (I don’t know if anyone else has ever been stupid enough to use the Apple Legacy process following the death of a loved one on computers. I didn’t know any better. I can’t use it like it is and it’s just a security Risk. It’s trash but I can’t throw it away and it’s running our Wi-Fi which I won’t have after I reset it anyway.).

Sorry-so is the link that you provided here what Apple means when they say I have to restore it to factory? I don’t have another keyboard or anything-just wireless. (it sure would help if they gave all these details before you go through the process and everything stops working.)

How do I reset my iMac to factory settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.