Automator Permission to modify files in finder?

I upgraded my Mac (from a much older one!) and my Automator .app s seem to have lost permission to do anything. For example, I have one to find files that are 5 days old in a directory, and archive them. When viewing the "results" in a step by step run of the automator script, it shows no files in the results. The files are there, so I assume Automator needs permission to find them, and archive them. Any ideas what I should do or look for? Thanks for any help!

Mac mini (Late 2014)

Monterrey 12.6.5

16gb Mem

Mac mini, macOS 13.3

Posted on May 9, 2023 6:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 11, 2023 4:52 AM

Some people have found that it won’t return anything if you search a folder, but does return if you choose on the Mac in the search result.

I have a fix for that.

If that isn’t it, try resetting the index.

Rebuild the Spotlight index on your Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

6 replies

May 9, 2023 7:06 AM in response to Barney-15E

I gave Automator full disk access as suggested. Nothing changed.

Automator has a choice of "Find Finder Items". You can give it parameters. Example, Find Finder Items that are in a directory you choose, that were last modified 5 days ago. This should produce a list in the "Results" section of Automator with the names of the files found. It says there were no results. There clearly are files in that directory that do have a last modified date of 5 days ago.

Any other thoughts? Thank you.

May 11, 2023 4:42 AM in response to Barney-15E

I'm just trying to re-build what I had for an app. (My old apps all have full disk access, but don't work.) It seems I can't find anything using Spotlight. (Or I need to learn how to search with it all over again.) In looking for any file with a jpg file type, it returns nothing. There are thousands of files with jpg so, something is messed up. Thanks for your help. I'm going to go back to school and learn how to use spotlight so it finds things on the mac that are there.

Automator Permission to modify files in finder?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.