Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Can you tag pet’s names in photos like you can for people?

I want to be able to search my photos by a pets name. Like how they have ppls faces for names but I have geckos and rodents so I can’t search for them based on giving the photos a name I only have to individually name photos with captions containing their name. I can’t even search for dog or cat because I have exotic pets and AI doesn’t know what a Richardson’s ground squirrel is lolol (one of my pets)

Posted on May 9, 2023 2:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 11, 2023 5:56 AM

You can manually tag pets and have them appear in the People view, just like people:

1. Open a photo of the pet that you want to add.
    2. Turn on "Show Face Names" in the View menu.
    3. Use ⌘-i to show the info window, then tap the circle with the +.
    4. Drag the circle to the pet's face, then type in the pet's name.

But Photos won't search for these using automatic face recognition. However, once they're tagged, you can use that in a search. You can also have a Smart Album specify {"Person" "includes" "Flurry"} (for my cat) and it will find the manual tags.

You should add the pets' names as keywords. Use the manual tagging to show which one is Flurry and which one is Kinsey when they appear in the same picture.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 11, 2023 5:56 AM in response to lindsey2201

You can manually tag pets and have them appear in the People view, just like people:

1. Open a photo of the pet that you want to add.
    2. Turn on "Show Face Names" in the View menu.
    3. Use ⌘-i to show the info window, then tap the circle with the +.
    4. Drag the circle to the pet's face, then type in the pet's name.

But Photos won't search for these using automatic face recognition. However, once they're tagged, you can use that in a search. You can also have a Smart Album specify {"Person" "includes" "Flurry"} (for my cat) and it will find the manual tags.

You should add the pets' names as keywords. Use the manual tagging to show which one is Flurry and which one is Kinsey when they appear in the same picture.

May 11, 2023 9:13 AM in response to lindsey2201

You can only add keywords in Photos for Mac. But if a photo has been tagged with keywords, you can search for the keyword also in Photos iOS on an iPhone or iPad.

To add a keyword in Photos for Mac you simply type it into the Info for a photo (where it says "Add a keyword", or get familiar with the keyword manager. Then you can define keyboard shortcuts to keywords and assign the keyword with one keyclick, a different keyboard shortcut for each of your pets.

See: Find photos by keyword in Photos on Mac – Apple Support (UK)

May 11, 2023 8:13 AM in response to lindsey2201

Manually added faces are not used for the face recognition. You will have to tag each and every pet face manually. And currently the manually added faces are not very stable after system upgrades or when syncing with iCloud Photos. Usually the faces I add on my Mac will sync with iCloud Photos to my iPhone and iPad, but not always, and I have to add the manually added faces over and over again after a major system upgrade that has improved the face detection. It might be much less trouble to assign the names of your pets as keywords. Keywords are more stable in the long run, and will even be exported with the photos when you share them.

May 11, 2023 9:03 AM in response to léonie

How do you add keywords? And do I have to do this for every photo? Yes I never use photos for Mac. Only on my phone. It can tell me my black cat is a Bombay cat (which is wrong) but doesn’t search for black or cat on my phone. I wish apple would update this. Or at least so I could search by black cat or leopard gecko or rodent. But I can’t even use those keywords

Can you tag pet’s names in photos like you can for people?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.