USB audio interface on iPad Pro 11 3rd gen not working after upgrade to 16.4

I've used the same hardware prior to upgrade and its working. iPad automatically upgraded to 16.4.1. At which point the interface (Tascam US-4x4HR, and latest tested another USB->Audio microphone interface) are both not working.

Confirmed on my friends ipad (same hardware, 11" 3rd gen) who is still on 16.1 that they're both working there.

Considering how so many people are using these for music/audio production, I figured there would be more complaints, but I can't find anything.

I've factory erased/restore mine (while maintaining it at 16.4.1 obviously) and USB audio still not working.

iPad Pro, iPadOS 16

Posted on May 9, 2023 10:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 22, 2023 5:34 PM

Update:

• Continues to not work in 16.5.
  • I've tested same USB Audio interface on a iPad 11 Pro 4th gen running 16.4.1 and it IS working there.

So the problem seems to be limited to 11th pro 3rd generation.

Really need a fix for this, can't keep borrowing old hardware just to do recordings.

4 replies

Jun 11, 2023 5:14 AM in response to dongie1818

It’s not just yours, it’s a lot of us. In my case, everything works with my iPad 9th gen, but on my iPhone 14 pro none of my audio interfaces work. I’ve tried with multiple camera adapters, some Apple official and some now, and it won’t work. It’s as if it’s getting power but then immediately is disconnecting. Ironically, the official camera adapter doesn’t even work with my iPad. I had to use a 2 dollar one off of temu which is a life saver but also a shame on apples end

Jun 29, 2023 11:13 AM in response to dongie1818

I have the same issue with iPad OS 16.5.1 and my iPad 2018 Pro 12 inch. It always worked in the past. I tried Logic Pro for the first time and it did not see my M32r using the simple USBC to USB dongle which I always use non of my DAW apps see anything but the internal mic. Oddly after about an hour of it being connected I get a message saying a peripheral was now connected or something like that, and Logic and my other apps then saw the interface and I was able to record 32 tracks. But this morning I tried reconnecting the board and again it doesn't work. Apple needs to fix this and I will be canceling logic pro sub till it gets fixed.

Jun 29, 2023 12:12 PM in response to Lance Mcvickar

I also want to point out that my iPad Pro has issues charging sometimes, I did a complete wipe and reinstall and it worked fine for a day everytime I connected the charger it started charing, then a day later charging became and issue again sometimes it works sometime it doesn't. My USBC hard drive mounts but not every time, but I cannot get my interface to show up again. Apple says it's most likely a hardware issue and would cost $720 to repair. I took it in for battery service the other day and they said it was not below 80 percent after three years of constant use, they also said they can check battery health over the phone and you don't have to go to the store to find out. So looks like they got my by the.... That is the issue with a single USB C port if it goes belly up you basically have a bricked ipad. You would think a powered USB interface would connect but it only did once just to make me crazy...

USB audio interface on iPad Pro 11 3rd gen not working after upgrade to 16.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.