Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Edit in Portrait Mode - Missing edit options

In editing a photo taken on iPhone 14ProMac, in PORTRAIT mode. I'm in my apple photo library, and I opened the Portrait photo, and would like to make adjustments. In the right side of options, I'm missing the options. (Adjust, Portrait, Light, and Depth). How do I view these options?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 13.3

Posted on May 10, 2023 2:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 10, 2023 3:29 PM

Click the Adjustments tab in toolbar of the Edit pane, then the "Portrait" button in the lower left corner, if it is not highlighted.

Scroll the adjustments panel all the way down, even if no scroll bar is shown.

The depth slider should appear on top of the adjustments panel.

You may need to revert the photo to the original, if older adjustments have been applied in an external editor. External edits or edits in an older system version can disable the Portrait mode.

The portrait tools may also be not available, if you are using iCloud Photos and "Optimize storage". In that case the depth map may have been removed by the optimize feature and you may need to wait for the download from iCloud.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 10, 2023 3:29 PM in response to jrzygrl2

Click the Adjustments tab in toolbar of the Edit pane, then the "Portrait" button in the lower left corner, if it is not highlighted.

Scroll the adjustments panel all the way down, even if no scroll bar is shown.

The depth slider should appear on top of the adjustments panel.

You may need to revert the photo to the original, if older adjustments have been applied in an external editor. External edits or edits in an older system version can disable the Portrait mode.

The portrait tools may also be not available, if you are using iCloud Photos and "Optimize storage". In that case the depth map may have been removed by the optimize feature and you may need to wait for the download from iCloud.

Feb 28, 2024 11:00 AM in response to 1992-lake

Do you want to turn the Portrait photo into a standard photo without the Depth map or do you want to remove the portrait badge overlay?

In Photos for Mac you can get rid of the "Portrait" badge overlay by turning off the option "File Type" in the menu "View > Metadata". But then you will no longer be seeing see the Media Kind for any file type at all.

You can turn off "Portrait" while in Edit mode, but it will not change the file type. To change the file type of a Portrait photo you will have to export the image as a HEIC file or JPEG and then reimport it and delete thePortrait Mode file.

Apr 1, 2024 2:23 AM in response to jrzygrl2

This is happening to me. Portrait photos taken on iPhone 13 Pro Max and synched to my iMac. I can change portrait depth on the phone but that option is just not showing on the adjustment panel. The first one is Light, not portrait so there is no depth slider. Come on apple looks like this as been happening for way too long. Please get it together and get it sorted.

Edit in Portrait Mode - Missing edit options

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.