iMac Packaging

Hi,

Just got a new M1 iMac 24-inch.

My computer had the white cloth-like covering plus a peel-off on the screen (front part). However, no peel-off on the back and no peel-off strip around the thin edge.

I watched a few iMac unboxing videos on YouTube and saw that other people had the peel-offs on the back and edge.

I'm concerned that my iMac was refurbished. I did upgrade the storage. It shipped from Shanghai, China.

Has anyone else's new iMac arrived without the peel-offs on the back and side?

Thank you!

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 12, 2023 12:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 12, 2023 6:40 AM

If you contact Apple along with your iMac's serial number they should be able to tell you if it was refurbished by them or not.

Contact - How to Contact Us - Apple

Find your Mac model name and serial number - Apple Support

7 replies

May 12, 2023 9:54 AM in response to dialabrain

Hi dialabrain,

Thank you for answering.

Yes, in March of 2023, someone else posted the same question (that I posted). I wanted to bump the thread, but the thread was closed.

I'm actually now thinking that maybe there was that thin strip of film that went around the sides of the screen. That would have been something I'd throw away (and my trash got taken out, so I can't check).

But I really do not remember there being film on the back side. I think I would have remembered that and saved it as it would be a large piece and I'm still within my 14-day return period.

But yeah, sometimes the fortune gets left out of the cookie.

On the other thread, the OP said that s/he spoke with "Apple after sales," who told OP that his/her computer was not refurbished. I have an appointment to speak with someone in Apple post sales later on today.

Someone on the Web suggested going into System Information / Power to see the battery use history of a laptop. This is a desktop, of course, but I did go into System Information to look at historical stuff. It looks like something got loaded onto the computer between the date I ordered the computer and the date that it shipped (Garage Band, etc.).

Sorry so long, just didn't want to end up with a refurbished computer.

Thanks again!

May 12, 2023 9:57 AM in response to kaz-k

Hi kaz-k,

Thank you for answering. You bring up a good point. I've never bought something refurbished from Apple (nothing against it, just haven't done it yet), so that's good to know. Apparently, Apple has been selling refurbished items for years, now. I didn't realize that.

I forgot to say in my OP that I ordered the computer online from Apple.com.

Thanks again!

iMac Packaging

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.