Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

How to control sound quality on HomePod 2

I have a new HomePod 2, and the sound (from iMac or iPhone, both) is tinny and lacks bass. The equalizer controls don't have any effect. I'm comparing it side by side with a Sonos Play 1, and there's no comparison, the Sonos sounds so much better (warmer, clearer, bassier) that I have to believe I'm missing something in my setup. Does anyone know how to adjust the sound quality?

HomePod (2nd generation)

Posted on May 13, 2023 10:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 13, 2023 4:14 PM

There’s no EQ. Settings. You might try moving them around to another surface to recalibrate the sound. Dense wood will provide more bass. Otherwise, you can let Apple know you would like this feature here: Feedback - HomePod - Apple

17 replies

Nov 1, 2023 12:07 AM in response to Dave778778

I was about to comment that all these fixes you have are temporary and/or coincidental but you’ve already figured this out yourself. When HomePod is misbehaving it’s best to restart it, you can do this in the home app or unplug for 10 seconds. Try updating the software to 17.1.

Btw Apple do not read or respond to posts on here. You’re always free to submit feedback but don’t expect a response: Feedback - HomePod - Apple.

Jul 20, 2023 11:15 AM in response to mnscorpio

I had issues and did these things mainly because it’s a struggle with the presence of hackers. I made sure the HomePods were listed correctly under my iCloud. They weren’t and I reinstalled them. Made a new home in the home app and put the HomePods there. Made sure that the “speakers and TV” under HomePod details was set to “only users on same home”. Mostly only ask Siri to play music without touching my iPhone. Lastly I found something else that affects sound quality is going to the home app, pressing pause, then play again.

Jul 21, 2023 10:55 AM in response to Dave778778

I think it’s important that you install the HomePods correctly because I have a black mini and a yellow mini and sometimes when I install it pops up two black ones. I think if you check the serial numbers. Also I think it’s important if the hackers don’t know the name of your home. Because all of a sudden lossless wouldn’t stay on. It kept toggling off. So I removed the pods, made a new home, reinstalled them and lossless stays on now.

How to control sound quality on HomePod 2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.