Mac Studio, MacOS Ventura 13.3.1 (a), kernel panics

Since upgrading my Mac Studio (M1 Max, 64 GB RAM, 1 TB flash) to MacOS Ventura 13.3.1 (a), I've been getting a lot of kernel panics. Sometimes just a few minutes after the last one. The only cables plugged in are power, ethernet, HDMI to a 4K monitor, and my USB switch, that currently only has an Anker mouse plugged in. My keyboard is a Logi wireless (bluetooth).

When the problem started, I also had an Apple USB Superdrive (DVD-RW) plugged into a rear USB port, and a Logitech headset and WebCam plugged into the USB switch.

I reinstalled MacOS Ventura, so I'm currently at 13.3.1, the panics are still happening, and I don't know whether I should redo the upgrade to 13.3.1 (a).

Diagnostics shows a clean bill of health.

Is anyone else having similar issues? Any suggestions?

Mac Studio (2022)

Posted on May 13, 2023 10:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 13, 2023 12:02 PM

To get to the root cause for this, one has to be systematic.

First, disconnect everything except the minimum needed to operate the Mac, e.g. just a mouse and keyboard. Disconnect the USB switch and everything else, and try to connect the monitor directly to the Mac. Are you using Apple adaptors for the monitor and ethernet? Maybe even eliminate the ethernet hard connection if possible, use WiFi if that is available.

The goal is to find the minimum setup where there are no more panics. Such panics are often related to hardware connections. Then you can add back external connections, one at a time, to find the culprit.

Make sure the mouse and keyboard, as they are third party, have all available latest firmware updates.

If you still have the panics, try booting into Safe Mode with your Mac. Are the panics gone then? If so, run Etrecheck and post the output here using the Additional text button below. It might be good to run Etrecheck and post its output here anyway. Lots of experts in analyzing those outputs read these Discussions.

Another easy test: create a new user, log out of your current user and log in as the new user. Are the panics there still?

You said you reinstalled the MacOS, did you erase the drive and reinstall fresh, or did you just reinstall over what you have? The latter would not cure something else installed that is conflicting.

If you do end up erasing and reinstalling fresh, be sure you have two good tested backups as all files are erased when doing this. It is best to start off with a new admin single user with a different username than one you are already using. If you can determine that panics are gone with this bare bones vanilla Mac, then you can migrate your user account and all your files (but no applications or settings) back over using Migration Assistant. Then test again. Then you can install software one at a time and test after each one.

You might also need to have your hardware tested with professional grade diagnostics only available at an Apple Authorized Service Provider.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 13, 2023 12:02 PM in response to OwnedByTwoCats

To get to the root cause for this, one has to be systematic.

First, disconnect everything except the minimum needed to operate the Mac, e.g. just a mouse and keyboard. Disconnect the USB switch and everything else, and try to connect the monitor directly to the Mac. Are you using Apple adaptors for the monitor and ethernet? Maybe even eliminate the ethernet hard connection if possible, use WiFi if that is available.

The goal is to find the minimum setup where there are no more panics. Such panics are often related to hardware connections. Then you can add back external connections, one at a time, to find the culprit.

Make sure the mouse and keyboard, as they are third party, have all available latest firmware updates.

If you still have the panics, try booting into Safe Mode with your Mac. Are the panics gone then? If so, run Etrecheck and post the output here using the Additional text button below. It might be good to run Etrecheck and post its output here anyway. Lots of experts in analyzing those outputs read these Discussions.

Another easy test: create a new user, log out of your current user and log in as the new user. Are the panics there still?

You said you reinstalled the MacOS, did you erase the drive and reinstall fresh, or did you just reinstall over what you have? The latter would not cure something else installed that is conflicting.

If you do end up erasing and reinstalling fresh, be sure you have two good tested backups as all files are erased when doing this. It is best to start off with a new admin single user with a different username than one you are already using. If you can determine that panics are gone with this bare bones vanilla Mac, then you can migrate your user account and all your files (but no applications or settings) back over using Migration Assistant. Then test again. Then you can install software one at a time and test after each one.

You might also need to have your hardware tested with professional grade diagnostics only available at an Apple Authorized Service Provider.

Mac Studio, MacOS Ventura 13.3.1 (a), kernel panics

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.