Messenger Facebook Links Wont Open 16.4.1 (iPad only)

With the latest update to 16.4.1, neither of my iPads (mini or air) will open Facebook links shared with me in messenger. I understand the OS has been changed to open within the associated apps and not the browser. Thats fine however, shared Facebook links from messenger wont open in Facebook either. The Facebook app opens to the home page and that's it. Nothing else happens.

I reinstalled both the Facebook and Messenger apps multiple times with no luck. I'm not experiencing this issue on my iPhone or desktop. Only on iPads.

Any feedback appreciated.

iPad Air

Posted on May 15, 2023 9:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 20, 2023 3:33 AM

Reading all of these we all have the same issue. I’m unsure why apple cannot address this as it’s clearly an issue, plus the steps they’ve provided to resolve it do not work. It’s so frustrating especially when it’s just ignored!

132 replies

May 17, 2023 2:23 PM in response to WindwolfA1

Hi WindwolfA1,

Thank you for participating in the Apple Support Communities. We understand you're unable to open Facebook links shared through Messenger on your iPad. This article has some relevant steps that may help even though they are listed for a slightly different issue: If an app on your iPhone or iPad stops responding, closes unexpectedly, or won’t open - Apple Support.

"If an app on your iPhone or iPad doesn't work as expected, try this.

1. Close and reopen the app

Force the app to close. Then open the app to see if it works as expected.

2. Restart your device

Restart your iPhone or restart your iPad. Then open the app to see if it works as expected.

3. Check for updates

To see if updates are available for the app, open the App Store, tap your profile icon, then scroll down to see if updates are available. If updates aren't available for the app, update the software on your iPhone or iPad.

4. Delete the app, then redownload it

Delete the app. When you do this, you might lose data that was stored in the app. Then redownload the app. Then check to see if the problem with the app is fixed.

Get more help

Take care.

Jul 28, 2023 5:52 PM in response to WindwolfA1

Is anyone in Apple support working on this. I’m disabled and bed ridden a lot if the time. It’s super annoying to have to find my phone to open links instead of using my iPad. Used to work and doesn’t now so it must be an update thing. Works on iPhone so what gives. Please help. When my Apple stuff (and I have everything watch, buds,) works, it’s brilliant but this is frustrating. I have done all the suggested fixes.

Jul 22, 2023 8:20 PM in response to DucatiRon

Something blocking between FB Messenger and FB Apps. If I try to go into Account settings from the FB Messenger app - FB App opens but does not go to Account Settings. This happens on the iPad Air only.

Uninstalled both and reinstalled. Logged out on all devices etc... cleared caches... I am thinking it is some sort of security / trust setting on the iPad Air iOS.

Jul 22, 2023 6:06 PM in response to WindwolfA1

I have tested by logging into FB on Safari and this works. It opens the link in the embedded version of the Safari browser FB Messenger. Also - if you use the option to open the link in FB Messenger App - successfully.

So the issue is only related to opening certain links (probably video) in FB Messenger which then sends the call to FB App to open... which fails, just opens the Facebook App showing what ever is on the FB app at the time. Something blocking at this point.

Jul 28, 2023 8:09 PM in response to WindwolfA1

I found a work around. Not sure if it’ll work on all links but it worked on one my wife sent me. Long hold the link that is sent to you and select open in safari. This opened the Facebook app me brought me right to the page she sent me. When just clicking on it, I have the same issue originally mentioned.

Quick update. I went back and tried a few more that were sent to me. A lot would open in the app and I had one that actually opened in safari.

Jul 28, 2023 1:52 PM in response to Dirtjeep

Same. Super annoying. Never thought I’d be wanting to go back to my phone

ive done every update and still no fix. Similar to other’s experiences I can open links from my iPhone. Just not the iPad. The link opens FB (so something is working) but then FB fails to open the link and instead I’m left on the last thing I previously viewed on FB.

Aug 9, 2023 7:28 AM in response to lyn160

lyn160 wrote:

No option for safari on most Facebook reposts. Insta working but not fb so might be on the fb end. Apple can you talk to Facebook. Really annoying for some thing that used to work. Pretty please 🙏

1) Apple doesn't read here in this user-to-user forum for feedback or suggestions and 2) only Facebook can fixa problem with their app. I suggest you check their support options.

Aug 10, 2023 6:06 AM in response to Kaz157

Been trying everything they suggested and still not working. I just opened FB and hit the menu button on bottom rt side,then scrolled down to “report a problem” hit that ,then copy and pasted this blog to them. I think if we get enough people doing this it might get some attention as the most likely don’t look at this site or are unaware of the amount of people this is affecting. If anybody’s messenger is doing this,you should do this,don’t think your message won’t count,the more messages,the more likely it will be addressed.

Messenger Facebook Links Wont Open 16.4.1 (iPad only)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.