Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Will updating my iPads software wipe all of my stuff on it (not about iCloud)

Title is self explanatory I’m gonna update it to the newest update

16.4.1 that update

but will it delete all of my stuff on it if I update it to that

and if I don’t update its software for a little bit (like a week) will it damage my iPad in anyway shape or form?

And please don’t just say no or yes those one worded answers are confusing as heck

this is for iPad 9th generation

thank you and have a great day you deserve it mate :)

iPad, iPadOS 15

Posted on May 15, 2023 10:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 15, 2023 11:04 AM

Longlivethesovietonion wrote:

16.4.1 that update

No. Updates don't delete content off iPads unless something goes terribly wrong. You should however still have a backup of your data wether you update or not. iCloud updates are done automatically when the iPad is connected to power and Wi-Fi and the screen is turned off, like overnight. click here ➜ How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

and if I don’t update its software for a little bit (like a week) will it damage my iPad in anyway shape or form?

No. Not updating will not damage your iPad. You can update whenever you are ready. Postponing the update will simply make it so the iPad does not have the most current fix or patch or any new features the update may bring until you update, but it does not cause damage.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 15, 2023 11:04 AM in response to Longlivethesovietonion

16.4.1 that update

No. Updates don't delete content off iPads unless something goes terribly wrong. You should however still have a backup of your data wether you update or not. iCloud updates are done automatically when the iPad is connected to power and Wi-Fi and the screen is turned off, like overnight. click here ➜ How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

No. Not updating will not damage your iPad. You can update whenever you are ready. Postponing the update will simply make it so the iPad does not have the most current fix or patch or any new features the update may bring until you update, but it does not cause damage.

May 15, 2023 11:27 AM in response to Longlivethesovietonion

A system software update should not, in normal circumstances, cause any loss of data.

That said, ideally, you will be following best practice and will already have either an iCloud or iTunes backup of your device(s). If you don’t already have a backup - and wish to avoid the remote possibility that something may go wrong during the update process - you would be well advised to ensure that you have a backup before proceeding:

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

In the unlikely event that something untoward should occur, you’ll be able to restore the backup:

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support

May 15, 2023 12:23 PM in response to LotusPilot

Is it normal for an iPad to become really slow if you choose not to update it I have final exams to take so I have been postponing updating my iPad cause I’m gonna put all of my stuff on my thumb drive so I am 100% positive that nothing can physically go wrong cause iCloud is confusing and I use thumb drives way more plus all I have on my iPad is writing tips, my characters, stuff for school, couple games, writing prompts and stuff about fallout 4 that’s literally all I have

May 15, 2023 12:29 PM in response to Longlivethesovietonion

Is it normal for an iPad to become really slow if you choose not to update it

No. Nothing should change if you choose not to update.

I have final exams to take so I have been postponing updating my iPad cause I’m gonna put all of my stuff on my thumb drive so I am 100% positive that nothing can physically go wrong cause iCloud is confusing and I use thumb drives way more plus all I have on my iPad is writing tips, my characters, stuff for school, couple games, writing prompts and stuff about fallout 4 that’s literally all I have

You can safely and surely postpone updating until after final exams if you really want to. Nothing bad will happen if you do this.

Will updating my iPads software wipe all of my stuff on it (not about iCloud)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.