Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Video Not Available

Have Apple+TV on Roku. All other streaming services play without issue. Running strong internet, a preview will start, then shows "Video Not Available" on any selected show. Happens most of the time for weeks at a time. Use 5G hotspot, tried on 4G/3G, same message, while all other services work fine. Thoughts?

3941RW,

Posted on May 15, 2023 3:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 19, 2023 9:27 PM

Something is causing the app to be unable to contact the remote servers.

See if this document has clues that apply to your situation: If you can't watch or stream movies and TV shows in the Apple TV app - Apple Support

“Video not available” may mean no valid reaction from the remote server.

1. Verify that your router doesn’t block Apple’s servers (or its CDN) through a firewall setting.
  2. Verify that your router doesn’t block ports that Apple services like to use.
  3. Verify that you use a good DNS on your router, like the one from your ISP, which gets updated with all server names that Apple might use.
  4. Verify that your Roku has the correct date and time and timezone, as Apple may be more strict about that (TLS) than other content providers.

Else

1. Check for Roku OS software updates.
  2. Check for Apple TV app updates, if not set to do so automatically.
  3. Try resetting the Apple TV app.
  4. Try deleting and re-installing the Apple TV app.
  5. Try restarting the Roku.
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 19, 2023 9:27 PM in response to TeamDJ_Apple

Something is causing the app to be unable to contact the remote servers.

See if this document has clues that apply to your situation: If you can't watch or stream movies and TV shows in the Apple TV app - Apple Support

“Video not available” may mean no valid reaction from the remote server.

1. Verify that your router doesn’t block Apple’s servers (or its CDN) through a firewall setting.
  2. Verify that your router doesn’t block ports that Apple services like to use.
  3. Verify that you use a good DNS on your router, like the one from your ISP, which gets updated with all server names that Apple might use.
  4. Verify that your Roku has the correct date and time and timezone, as Apple may be more strict about that (TLS) than other content providers.

Else

1. Check for Roku OS software updates.
  2. Check for Apple TV app updates, if not set to do so automatically.
  3. Try resetting the Apple TV app.
  4. Try deleting and re-installing the Apple TV app.
  5. Try restarting the Roku.

Jul 15, 2023 12:59 PM in response to TeamDJ_Apple

I have a similar problem with Apple TV videos suddenly stopping or the service not being available. All other streaming services work flawlessly at full 4k. It took a bit of digging since my home setup is not typical. I run Server 2022 Active Directory with Windows 2022 DNS and a Sophos Firewall (I am a bit security minded). I also run DNSSEC and everything TLS.

I can reach every website on the Net without issue aside from some shady looking ones that cannot be validated via DNSSEC. All streaming services work flawlessly, except Apple TV+. It will work sometimes but then suddenly stop. The Apple TV servers are not DNSSEC compliant (Verisign DNSSEC tests confirm this).

My Sophos Firewall also has a DNS server running, but it is not robust so I do not use it for my network. The Sophos DNS server does not support DNSSEC. When my Apple TV+ fails to connect, I point it to my Sophos DNS server and it starts working (again no DNSSEC). The interesting part is I can no longer access Disney+, Prime or other streaming servers without DNSSEC. So, I need to switch back and forth manually changing the DNS server on my Android box. I have the same issue on all my other devices including my iMac.

If I wait a 1/2 hour or so, Apple TV+ will start working again for a period of time. It will then stop again after another period of time unless I point it towards the DNS server without DNSSEC.

If you are streaming from different networks, perhaps some are using DNSSEC which breaks Apple TV+ access.

Dec 26, 2023 12:08 PM in response to TeamDJ_Apple

I’m not tech savvy but here is what worked for us. LG smart tv. We also use a fire stick. Watched 6 episodes no problem using the firestick. Then episode 7 - video unavailable. Did all the recommended reset. Reinstall, check payment info and billing numbers, check internet connections… nothing. We then used only the LG tv remote without using the firestck remote. Just let the LG smart tv do its thing. Clicked on the Apple TV icon. After a few seconds it asked to update the Apple TV app. We did that. And no more video unavailable. It’s still doesn’t work using the firestick and it’s remote but at least we can watch what we need to. We did contact Apple and Larry was very helpful and patient. He also had a senior tech talk with us who took the model/ serial number of our tv. And noted that Apple TV is not working through that device. She is suppose to be reporting the issue to engineering. She advised we contact Amazon regarding the firestick. Maybe our firestick is out dated? Not sure on that…We have it maybe 2 years…

Hopefully, this will help someone.

Video Not Available

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.