Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

How do I get rid of photos on my iPhone without deleting them from my Mac

How do I get rid of photos on my iPhone without deleting them on my Mac

iPhone XR, iOS 16

Posted on May 15, 2023 8:19 PM

8 replies

May 15, 2023 8:39 PM in response to euroquillo

euroquillo Said:

"How do I get rid of photos on my iPhone without deleting them on my Mac: [...]My iPhone notified me that my storage is almost full so I’m trying to save the photos to my Mac and then delete some on my phone.[...]"

-------

Forget the transfer for a moment, and try cleaning space.

Troubleshooting iPhone Storage:

Internal storage cannot be upgraded. It is what it is. So, the maximum internal storage capacity never increases, even if you upgraded your iCloud plan. Learn More here: What's the Difference Between Device Storage and iCloud Storage? Apple Support

So, what to do...

Clear Space Using my User Tips:

May 15, 2023 8:30 PM in response to euroquillo

Double check the following settings:

Open Settings ➡️ Apple ID (Your Name at Top) ➡️ iCloud ➡️ Photos: Ensure that this switch is set to ON. This will tell you that your photos are synched through iCloud.

When the above is the case, then if you delete a photo on your iPhone then the photo is also deleted on your Mac and vice versa. You have already discovered that.

What you can do instead is optimize storage on your iPhone. What this action will do is store your original quality photos on iCloud and a small size photo on your iPhone. This takes up less space on your iPhone while maintaining the actual size on iCloud. This will free up space on your iPhone while making good use of iCloud. If you would like to try this then openSettings  Photos  Optimize iPhone Storage : Ensure that this option is chosen and has a checkmark on it.

You will maintain full size photos on your Mac.

Axel F.

How do I get rid of photos on my iPhone without deleting them from my Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.