One volume button does not work

One of the volume buttons on my iPad mini does not work. Does anyone have a solution?

iPad mini 6, iPadOS 16

Posted on May 16, 2023 9:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 16, 2023 9:24 AM

If the physical button doesn’t work, it will require repair.

It is a common misconception that an iPad (or iPhone) can remain fully functional with damaged or defective physical buttons. 

Whilst Accessibility features (such as assistive touch) can be used to augment the User Interface, these features cannot be used as a substitute for physical button sequences that must be used to trigger system recovery actions. Sooner or later, as now, you will encounter a situation from which you cannot recover.

Until repaired, you will not be able to resolve a locked-out (disabled) iPad - or reset a forgotten device passcode.

iPad Repair & Service - Apple Support

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 16, 2023 9:24 AM in response to mak1970

If the physical button doesn’t work, it will require repair.

It is a common misconception that an iPad (or iPhone) can remain fully functional with damaged or defective physical buttons. 

Whilst Accessibility features (such as assistive touch) can be used to augment the User Interface, these features cannot be used as a substitute for physical button sequences that must be used to trigger system recovery actions. Sooner or later, as now, you will encounter a situation from which you cannot recover.

Until repaired, you will not be able to resolve a locked-out (disabled) iPad - or reset a forgotten device passcode.

iPad Repair & Service - Apple Support

May 16, 2023 10:28 AM in response to LotusPilot

Thank you! I already took this iPad mini to the Genius Bar, they said I had to purchase a replacement refurbished iPad mini and give this one to them. Oh I get it, they want me to have to buy one. Can I just use this until it does not work then purchase a new one? I do not understand why they wanted me to pay for a refurbished (it is out of warranty) one.

One volume button does not work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.