How to leave group chats with android users on it?

Why can’t you leave a group chat with android users in it

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 13, iOS 16

Posted on May 16, 2023 3:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 23, 2023 7:11 PM

THIS! it’s 2023 there’s no reason why they shouldn’t have this figured out yet. And support is always telling us to mute, obviously we know we can mute. That doesn’t stop the messages from coming to us.

8 replies

May 24, 2023 8:32 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

I am aware that this is a user to user forum. Having reached out to Apple and At&t about this, both have responded letting me know I am able to mute the conversation (which I am also aware of.) The thing is I didn’t ask them how to stop seeing message notifications (as this is all muting does), I asked them why can’t we leave group chats with these android users in them which muting does not help. Thank you.

May 24, 2023 7:03 AM in response to crinklecutchip

This is a user-to-user forum. No one from Apple Support has posted in this thread. And no one posting here knows why Apple does what Apple does.

Also, Apple doesn't read here for feedback or suggestions. You can, however, let them know your thoughts here:

Product Feedback - Apple

Personally, I try not to assume that people know everything when they are asking for help.

May 24, 2023 7:38 AM in response to crinklecutchip

crinklecutchip wrote:

THIS! it’s 2023 there’s no reason why they shouldn’t have this figured out yet. And support is always telling us to mute, obviously we know we can mute. That doesn’t stop the messages from coming to us.

The “they” is the group of cellular carriers that define the SMS/MMS standard, and “they” decided that groups are fixed once created, and no one can be added or removed once created. Apple has nothing to do with it and no control over how mobile carriers manage their network. Which is a really good reason to never belong to a group with non-iPhone users.

And it’s also why other messaging services are so popular: WhatsApp, Skype, Signal, Google Meet, Microsoft Teams, Telegram, Facebook Messenger… And all of them have the advantage that all communications are encrypted end-to-end, unlike SMS/MMS where your carrier has access to all of your message content.

May 24, 2023 8:53 AM in response to crinklecutchip

crinklecutchip wrote:

I am aware that this is a user to user forum. Having reached out to Apple and At&t about this, both have responded letting me know I am able to mute the conversation (which I am also aware of.)

However, we do not know that the original poster, the person to whom I made that recommendation, is aware of it.

I asked them why can’t we leave group chats with these android users in them which muting does not help.

And, fortunately for you, Lawrence Finch has provided that explanation for you.

How to leave group chats with android users on it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.