Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

I have Mac Mail and an AOL account. It works on many other of my computers devices. I have to submit the AOL Generated password about every half hour for it to run.

Why do I need to resubmit the password every half hour to hour or so? It works then, but but after the above period it has to be resubmitted. I've asked AOL what the situation is and they say it's a Mac Mail issue. I figure a Mail file got corrupted. This AOL account and Mac Mail program runs on all my other computers etc. w/o having to resubmit the AOL generated password for it to run (the regular password I made up does NOTHING).

I've tried to delete the AOL accounts and reinstall them, but the problem came back.

Help. Do i need to throw out some files so they can be regenerated correctly?

MacBook Pro 13″

Posted on May 16, 2023 6:01 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

May 16, 2023 8:58 PM in response to Redpackman

Are all your accounts IMAP & no POP accounts?

If so try deleting this file...

~Library/Containers/com.apple.mail/Data/Library/Preferences/com.apple.mail.plist

~ tilde indicates  your user library folder

Apple hid the Users' Library folders...

Method 1:

1. From the Finder, select the Go menu at top of the screen, and choose Go to Folder.
  2. In the window that opens, enter ~/Library, and click Go.

May 17, 2023 10:20 AM in response to BDAqua

Thank you, BDAqua, for that suggestion. I did delete that file but the request for the AOL generated password reappeared this morning after a little activity. I do believe it's some file that's corrupted, but that one apparently was not it.

I am thankful that my other AOL linked devices on other computers (that link to the same account) are not (yet) demanding a repeated and constant re-entry of the special password.

So, any other suggestions? Thank you, too, for the detailed instructions on how to FIND the suspect file. I'd have never found it otherwise.

May 17, 2023 11:09 AM in response to Redpackman

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode? Could take 10 minutes.

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches & loads safe Drivers, & prevents loading of 3rd party extensions, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

To find out if it's system wide or user specific, try this...

Open System Preferences>Users & Groups, unlock the lock, click on the little plus icon, make a new admin account, log out & into the new account.

Does it work in the new account?

I have Mac Mail and an AOL account. It works on many other of my computers devices. I have to submit the AOL Generated password about every half hour for it to run.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.