Charging Mac While Connected to External Monitor

I have the m2 Macbook air and use it at work daily. I connect it to an external monitor using HDMI and a dongle. I want to know what the best charging practice is when using the monitor at work. Should I let the battery drain and charge it every time it gets low, or is it best to simply leave magsafe connected. Whats the best method to use to preserve the health of the battery?

MacBook Air, macOS 13.3

Posted on May 17, 2023 6:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 17, 2023 7:05 AM

Simply leave the MacBook plugged in while using it. There is no real need to use it on battery power while it's on a desk, connected to an external monitor. Leaving it on the MagSafe charger will also keep battery cycles from accumulating.

See the following Help Topic for more info

Get help with your Mac laptop battery - Apple Support

Also enable Optimized Battery Charging

If battery charging is paused or on hold on your Mac - Apple Support

Also see the following User Tip by Lawrence Finch (which also applies to MacBook / Lithium technology batteries )

When to charge your iPhone or iPad - Apple Community

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 17, 2023 7:05 AM in response to JakeG2022

Simply leave the MacBook plugged in while using it. There is no real need to use it on battery power while it's on a desk, connected to an external monitor. Leaving it on the MagSafe charger will also keep battery cycles from accumulating.

See the following Help Topic for more info

Get help with your Mac laptop battery - Apple Support

Also enable Optimized Battery Charging

If battery charging is paused or on hold on your Mac - Apple Support

Also see the following User Tip by Lawrence Finch (which also applies to MacBook / Lithium technology batteries )

When to charge your iPhone or iPad - Apple Community

Charging Mac While Connected to External Monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.