Why won't my iPod classic(160gb) sync?

Why won't my iPod classic(160gb)sync on my MAC or my hp? I have the latest update. I can still purchase music. When I plug in the iPod and hit sync, it does nothing.

iPod Classic

Posted on May 17, 2023 11:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 17, 2023 12:54 PM

Do you have Sync options set? If you do not, the Sync will take place but nothing will be synchronised.

With the iPod connected to iTunes, switch to the Device/Settings/Music pane (1. in the screenshot below) and make sure that Sync Music (2.) is selected:

Then select either Entire music library or selected playlists, albums, artists and genres (3.).

Option 4 is only displayed if you choose selected playlists, albums, artists and genres. If you choose this option, only what you select in section 4 is added to your iPod. If you do not select any items, the Sync will take place but nothing gets added.

Be aware that you can only synchronise with one iTunes Library (at a time, i.e. the Mac or the HP, not both). If you attempt to sync with a second Library, you will see a message warning you that all the media (your music) will be deleted from the iPod and replaced by whatever you have chosen to synchronise from the second Library. Perhaps you have changed settings in order to avoid that message, which in turn has stopped anything from being added to the iPod.

Decide which computer you are going to use and stick with just that one.

steelbreeze1982 wrote:

I have the latest update. I can still purchase music.
  • "Latest update" - iTunes 12.12.8.2 is the current version on the day of writing (17th May 2023)
  • "I can still purchase music" - note that you cannot sync music from Apple Music (the subscription service) to an iPod Classic and that the music has to be on your computer, not just in the cloud
1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 17, 2023 12:54 PM in response to steelbreeze1982

Do you have Sync options set? If you do not, the Sync will take place but nothing will be synchronised.

With the iPod connected to iTunes, switch to the Device/Settings/Music pane (1. in the screenshot below) and make sure that Sync Music (2.) is selected:

Then select either Entire music library or selected playlists, albums, artists and genres (3.).

Option 4 is only displayed if you choose selected playlists, albums, artists and genres. If you choose this option, only what you select in section 4 is added to your iPod. If you do not select any items, the Sync will take place but nothing gets added.

Be aware that you can only synchronise with one iTunes Library (at a time, i.e. the Mac or the HP, not both). If you attempt to sync with a second Library, you will see a message warning you that all the media (your music) will be deleted from the iPod and replaced by whatever you have chosen to synchronise from the second Library. Perhaps you have changed settings in order to avoid that message, which in turn has stopped anything from being added to the iPod.

Decide which computer you are going to use and stick with just that one.

steelbreeze1982 wrote:

I have the latest update. I can still purchase music.
  • "Latest update" - iTunes 12.12.8.2 is the current version on the day of writing (17th May 2023)
  • "I can still purchase music" - note that you cannot sync music from Apple Music (the subscription service) to an iPod Classic and that the music has to be on your computer, not just in the cloud

Why won't my iPod classic(160gb) sync?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.