Cannot remove Apple ID from Mac

In Settings > Internet Accounts I have a second Apple ID I don't use and I want to remove from my Mac. In "Apps Using iCloud" all is off, and I do not use the account anywhere else (including on my Mac).

When clicking "Delete Account..." either "There was an error loading the account details." at the top or the pop up "The operation couldn’t be completed. (com.apple.extensionKit.errorDomain error 15.)" appears.

And I do not know if it is really because of this, but when clicking the delete account button, my MacBook becomes very hot and the fans are turning on. I think there is something really wrong.

MacBook Air 13″, 13.3

Posted on May 17, 2023 6:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 19, 2023 9:14 AM

Hi Killarnee,

We recommend following the guidance listed in the following user guide: Sign in or out of your Apple ID on Mac - Apple Support

You may also use these steps to see where your Apple ID, or Apple IDs, are signed in. It will also let you sign out here: Check your Apple ID device list to find where you're signed in - Apple Support

Use the web to remove a device

1. Sign in to appleid.apple.com, then select Devices.
2. Select the device to find its details, then select "Remove from account."
3. Review the message that appears.
4. Click again to confirm that you want to remove the device.

We recommend using the web methods above as it will not require you to sign in to or out of accounts on your Mac.

Regards.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 19, 2023 9:14 AM in response to Killarnee

Hi Killarnee,

We recommend following the guidance listed in the following user guide: Sign in or out of your Apple ID on Mac - Apple Support

You may also use these steps to see where your Apple ID, or Apple IDs, are signed in. It will also let you sign out here: Check your Apple ID device list to find where you're signed in - Apple Support

Use the web to remove a device

1. Sign in to appleid.apple.com, then select Devices.
2. Select the device to find its details, then select "Remove from account."
3. Review the message that appears.
4. Click again to confirm that you want to remove the device.

We recommend using the web methods above as it will not require you to sign in to or out of accounts on your Mac.

Regards.

May 22, 2023 8:38 AM in response to Killarnee

Hello Killarnee,

We'd recommend getting your Mac completely up to date after backing things up. This will ensure all fixes have been installed: Update macOS on Mac

Update macOS on Mac

Use Software Update to install updates and upgrades for macOS and its built-in apps, including Safari.

Use Software Update

Before installing new software, it's a good idea to back up your Mac.

To check for new software, open Software Update. It's in System Settings (or System Preferences), which you can open from the Apple menu  in the corner of your screen:

* Choose Apple menu  > System Settings. Click General on the left side of the System Settings window, then click Software Update on the right.

* Or choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click Software Update.

If Software Update finds new software, click the button to install it, then enter your administrator password when prompted. During installation, your Mac might show a progress bar or blank screen several times, and you should avoid putting it to sleep or closing its lid.

Software Update window in macOS Monterey

If Software Update says that your Mac is up to date, then no new software is currently available for your Mac model. Software Update shows only software that is compatible with your Mac. 

After this, ensure you're not using a VPN or security software on the Mac, as these can cause network issues: Check VPN (Virtual Private Network) and third-party software to help resolve network connectivity issues (If you have either installed, you may need to uninstall them to resolve this issue.)

Then test out the issue by trying to sign out of the Apple ID on your Mac.

Hoping to hear how it goes.

Take care.

May 22, 2023 2:23 PM in response to Killarnee

Hello Killarnee,

Thanks for checking.

Please try booting into safe mode, and deleting there: How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

If that also doesn't work, try repairing the disk drive:

For Intel Mac: Use macOS Recovery on an Intel-based Mac - Apple Support

For M1 Apple silicon: Use macOS Recovery on a Mac with Apple silicon - Apple Support

Run repair disk in Disk Utility. Test again and try deleting in normal mode, and safe mode after the disk has been repaired.

Thanks.

May 22, 2023 7:57 AM in response to Drew_7

Hi and thanks, I tried the steps you recommended, but it still doesn't work. Here are two screenshots:

How it looks like after clicking "Delete Account...":

An this appears after trying to tap the chevron back symbol to go way from this view (the "< iCloud" button in the upper navigation bar):

Using the Devices overview page at appleid.apple.com also doesn't work, when removing the device from the website it disappears from the web, but when opening the settings app on my Mac, the device reappears in the appleid.apple.com devices overview.

Any workaround for this problem? I took a look in Keychain Access where it shows 31 items with an "com.apple.*" (* as wildcard) prefix which have the desired email address/Apple ID I want to remove in the "Account" field. Is it secure when I try to remove this items from my iCloud Keychain?

May 22, 2023 2:12 PM in response to destiny241

Hi and Thanks.

There has been indeed a pending software update. All done now, and I also don't use any security software or vpn and tried using different networks (Wifi and Cellular/hot spot from iPhone) but the issue persists.

Maybe good to know: when removing the device on appleid.apple.com and I open the Mac settings, the device is still available in "Internet Account", but does not immediately show again on appleid.apple.com. When I click on "Delete Account...", then the device shows again on appleid.apple.com first. It seems like my Mac tries to sign out but does the opposite when clicking the button, but not just because of opening the settings app.

May 24, 2023 7:52 AM in response to Eric--F

Hi and thanks you all for your fast responses, this is amazing.

I tried safe mode and repairing the disk multiple times too, without success. Finally I think this is absolutely a bug and reported this to Feedback Assistant (FB12201563) now.

Any recommendations are welcome, but don't think this can be solved the "normal" way.

Thanks you all for your time and help.

Cannot remove Apple ID from Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.