Changed user id from 502 to 501 and now I cannot access Users and Groups

I got a new MacBook and I created a new administrator user but I couldn't change this icon of user (edit button wasn't coming on when I hover mouse over the icon and whenever I click it, nothing was happening). so I made a new user with administrator privileges, logged in to new account and deleted the first admin user. after that I changed the user id of newly created user to 501 from 502. now I can login using new user but whenever I click on Users and Groups in settings nothing is happening, Users and Groups screen is not coming up. also I'm having tons of new problems. I cannot sign out apple id from my MacBook. I cannot factory reset because it tries to sign out from apple id but it gives an error "the operation couldn't be completed. (AKAuthenticationError error -7001).

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 13.3

Posted on Oct 14, 2023 7:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2023 8:00 AM

inepz wrote:

I got a new MacBook and I created a new administrator user but I couldn't change this icon of user (edit button wasn't coming on when I hover mouse over the icon and whenever I click it, nothing was happening). so I made a new user with administrator privileges, logged in to new account and deleted the first admin user. after that I changed the user id of newly created user to 501 from 502. now I can login using new user but whenever I click on Users and Groups in settings nothing is happening, Users and Groups screen is not coming up. also I'm having tons of new problems. I cannot sign out apple id from my MacBook. I cannot factory reset because it tries to sign out from apple id but it gives an error "the operation couldn't be completed. (AKAuthenticationError error -7001).

On a brand new Mac— you have 90 days complimentary call in support— I would take advantage of that.

Call Customer Support (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

or on line https://getsupport.apple.com/

or call AppleCare Support at 1-800-APLCARE (800-275-2273)

Outside the USA—Contact Apple for support and service by phone

See a list of Apple phone numbers around the world.

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 14, 2023 8:00 AM in response to inepz

inepz wrote:

On a brand new Mac— you have 90 days complimentary call in support— I would take advantage of that.

Call Customer Support (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

or on line https://getsupport.apple.com/

or call AppleCare Support at 1-800-APLCARE (800-275-2273)

Outside the USA—Contact Apple for support and service by phone

See a list of Apple phone numbers around the world.

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Oct 14, 2023 9:36 AM in response to inepz

That command would have changed UID 502 to 1000, but you don't have a 502 anymore.

You would need UniqueID 501 502

However, you should stop playing with the command line as you will probably cause more damage.

As Ikrupp suggested, you should Erase all Content and Settings, then migrate from your backup.

For what it's worth at this point, there is nothing special about UID 501. There was absolutely no reason to change it.

Oct 14, 2023 10:53 AM in response to inepz

Unix is what lies under macOS. As part of its structure, when the first user account is created, it is assigned UID 501. The next account 502, and so on.

By changing your admin account to 502, you left Unix wondering where 501 went to. As in, how can there be a second account when there's no first account?

As Ikrupp said, you've messed up the system and it may not be easy to fix.

Changed user id from 502 to 501 and now I cannot access Users and Groups

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.