Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Search engine back to Safari default

Hi , how do I change my search engine back to safari I seen someone say “  just go to the  menu at the top of your screen, then click on System Preferences... -->

General --> click the "Default web browser" popup and select "Safari.app" from the list of options. After that, next time you click a web link in any app it should open in Safari. “ but i don’t see that can somebody maybe make a video of them doing it ?

iPhone XR, iOS 16

Posted on May 18, 2023 12:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 18, 2023 1:03 PM

How to make safari my default

browser

21 replies

May 18, 2023 7:00 AM in response to amyah130

It sounds as if you're asking how to make Safari your default browser. If you're using your iPhone, the only equipment you've listed in your post, Safari is the default browser until you change it to something else. To do that you would need, for example to go to Settings>Chrome>Default Browser App and make it the default browser. Then, and only then, would you see the option under Settings>Safari to change it back to Safari as the default.

If you are using a Mac, what version of Mac OS are you running? If you're running Ventura, the directions are not what you described. See here:

Make Safari your default web browser on Mac - Apple Support

Jan 31, 2024 5:53 PM in response to amyah130

I was away from home and someone removed my Safari when using Chrome to connect my Mac Pro yo his internet. The icon is there, click and it says the application “Safari.app” is not open anymore. Information is still in Recent. i really must get it back need my Mac. Years of documents and research on it. It is still on my phone IPhone 13. Probably Not hard but I am fearful of doing something that deletes it all or overlays on Icloud so backup is gone. Sorry but as you can tell I do not know what I am doing

Jan 17, 2024 7:05 AM in response to Csa2285

Csa2285 wrote:

How can I change my search engine from safari to google and back?

There is no such thing as a "safari search engine". Safari is a browser. Apple does not have a search engine.

If you want to change the default search engine from your iPhone, to go Settings>Safari>Search Engine. The options are Google, Yahoo, Bing, Yandes, DuckDuckGo and Ecosia.

If you want to change your default browser, see my post from above:

It sounds as if you're asking how to make Safari your default browser. If you're using your iPhone, the only equipment you've listed in your post, Safari is the default browser until you change it to something else. To do that you would need, for example to go to Settings>Chrome>Default Browser App and make it the default browser. Then, and only then, would you see the option under Settings>Safari to change it back to Safari as the default.

If you are using a Mac, what version of Mac OS are you running? If you're running Ventura, the directions are not what you described. See here:

Make Safari your default web browser on Mac - Apple Support

Mar 8, 2024 2:40 PM in response to Bob72 Nightingall-..

Bob72 Nightingall-.. wrote:

I don’t like google as my prime search engine, I’d like Safari

There is no "Safari search engine". Safari is a web browser. From Safari, you can use any search engine you choose.

On an iPhone, you can set your default search engine in Settings>Safari>Search Engine. Your options are Google, Yahoo, Bing, Yandex, DuckDuckGo and Ecosia. If you want one that doesn't track you, go with DuckDuckGo.

May 18, 2023 6:16 AM in response to amyah130

Reply to : amyah130 🔍 Search Engine / Web Browser

Hi amyah ,

This may clarify your issue :

Safari is a web browser by Apple . 🍎            Search Engine is an application that

It's a computer program used to navigate        searches for & retrieves data . You can 

the World Wide Web , by viewing web            choose your preference here :  

pages & following hyperlinks .                        Settings > Safari > search engine .

Yelp , Bing , Yahoo , Duck Duck Go ,

Google

Jan 23, 2024 11:30 PM in response to NANCI KNIGHT

NANCI KNIGHT wrote:

can i use safari as my web browser and download a google app for specific websites? I do not want to change safari.

You can have more than one browser on your Mac. Chrome is the browser made by the same company that runs the Google search engine. Brave is another option that is often recommended. Download both and see which one you like.

Feb 5, 2024 7:07 AM in response to Notthegoog

Notthegoog wrote:

What is the difference between a search engine and a web browser

In very simple terms, a search engine is a website you go to and enter in a query. Google is a very popular search engine. A browser is an application you use to access websites. Apple includes the Safari browser on all of their devices.

You can use any browser to access Google. You can use Safari, Chrome, or Brave. Conversely, you can use a browser to access any search engine. For example, you can use Safari to access the search engine DuckDuckGo.

Apr 12, 2024 8:09 AM in response to Whooubsd

Whooubsd wrote:

My iphone doesn't have a Default in General.

To change your search engine, go to Settings>Safari>Search Engine and select your preferred option. Note that you can't select "Safari" as a search engine as there is no such search engine. Your options are Google, Yahoo, Bing, Yandex, DuckDuckGo, and Ecosia (there may also be different options depending on your region).

Search engine back to Safari default

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.