Reset my old iphone as i forget the password

I have my new iphone and the old one is for my family member (my lovely daughter). The old one has been cleaned but i haven't proceeded the setup and idle for months. When we pick up from there again, it prompts password we can't remember and want to reset from there. All data in the old one can be erasable. We tried almost 9 time to remember what temporarily password we have been using but failed, hesitating to retry by our 10 time as not sure what the consequence will be. Thanks for saving us !!

iPhone 14, iOS 16

Posted on May 18, 2023 12:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 18, 2023 12:35 AM

See these instructions, keeping in mind that if you don't have a backup all data will be lost on that device (except those that you eventually synced to iCloud):

If your device is running iOS 15.2/iPadOS 15.2 or later, AND if you have created a backup to iCloud, you don't need a computer:--> How to reset your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch when you forgot your passcode - Apple Support

Shouldn't be this case (iOS/iPadOS earlier than 15.2), you need a computer. If you don't have a computer, borrow one from your friends/relatives/neighbors or ask for help at an Apple Store or Authorized Service Provider, then read these suggestions.

Given that to remove the existing passcode you must connect your device via USB to a computer (a Windows PC running the latest iTunes version, or a Mac, which can run iTunes or Finder, depending on the macOS installed on it), pay attention to the specific gestures that you need to perform while connecting your device to the computer.

These are the instructions to re-gain access to your iPhone/iPad:

If it is an iPhone:--> If you forgot your iPhone passcode - Apple Support

If it is an iPad:--> If you forgot your iPad passcode - Apple Support

Also, take a look at this support video about the same matter (for both iPhone and iPad):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7s8-zLG9ySQ

Regards

Giulio

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 18, 2023 12:35 AM in response to BenChung3

See these instructions, keeping in mind that if you don't have a backup all data will be lost on that device (except those that you eventually synced to iCloud):

If your device is running iOS 15.2/iPadOS 15.2 or later, AND if you have created a backup to iCloud, you don't need a computer:--> How to reset your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch when you forgot your passcode - Apple Support

Shouldn't be this case (iOS/iPadOS earlier than 15.2), you need a computer. If you don't have a computer, borrow one from your friends/relatives/neighbors or ask for help at an Apple Store or Authorized Service Provider, then read these suggestions.

Given that to remove the existing passcode you must connect your device via USB to a computer (a Windows PC running the latest iTunes version, or a Mac, which can run iTunes or Finder, depending on the macOS installed on it), pay attention to the specific gestures that you need to perform while connecting your device to the computer.

These are the instructions to re-gain access to your iPhone/iPad:

If it is an iPhone:--> If you forgot your iPhone passcode - Apple Support

If it is an iPad:--> If you forgot your iPad passcode - Apple Support

Also, take a look at this support video about the same matter (for both iPhone and iPad):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7s8-zLG9ySQ

Regards

Giulio

May 18, 2023 4:21 AM in response to BenChung3

In your unidentified old iPhone model, find the IMEI (not the Serial) number as per these instructions:--> Find the serial number or IMEI on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch . I do not understand why you should/would check that number.

If your computer disk is full, borrow a computer (with iTunes or Finder running on it) from your friends/relatives/neighbors or ask for help at an Apple Store or Authorized Service Provider. I don't see why you should contact Apple Online Support about that. You just need to re-gain access to your old iPhone, by removing the passcode to unlock its screen, right? Follow the instructions I've already posted.

If you still can't do that, you can make an appointment (*) and have your device inspected at an Apple Store or AASP (Apple Authorized Service Provider) among this list:--> https://locate.apple.com/choose-country-region . After checking it out, they'll give you all the available options.

Regards

Giulio

(*) You can do it:

May 18, 2023 3:35 AM in response to ProustGiulio

Hi Giulio/Team

Thanks for your prompt reply indeed and the situation here is a bit tricky

first thing first, i don't care the restoration as i have been using my new iphone already, so the old iphone that i have problem can reset anytime, and the thing is due to space issue of my laptop, i have erased the old backup assoicated with my old iphone

I try to bring the case to support online, the serial number i find in the SIM slot (15 digits start with 357X) seems not a no. recognized and I can't bring the case to support for now

Can you suggest what I can do so to gain back the control ?

Thank you so much !!

Reset my old iphone as i forget the password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.