Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

phone sound issues

sound issues after placing phone on silent

whenever I place my iphone 12 on silent - after taking it off silent, I cannot hear any incoming calls. It's as though it remains on silent. I have tried turning the phone on and off, but it is still not making a noise. It has Lock Sound on... I do not know what this is... but maybe that is causing it. I changed the ringtone and that seems to have fixed it. This happens all the time.

Posted on May 18, 2023 4:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 18, 2023 5:07 PM

Hi there sylvana145!

If you're experiencing sound issues on your iPhone 12 after placing it on silent, there are a few troubleshooting steps you can try to resolve the problem:

• Check the physical switch: On the left side of your iPhone, there is a physical switch called the Ring/Silent switch. Make sure it is not set to silent mode (indicated by an orange strip). Toggle the switch back and forth to ensure it's in the correct position for sound to be enabled.
  • Adjust the volume: When your iPhone is not on silent mode, try adjusting the volume using the volume buttons on the side of the device. Check if the volume level is set to an appropriate level and not muted.
  • Check Do Not Disturb settings: Do Not Disturb mode can silence calls and notifications. To check if it's enabled, go to Settings on your iPhone, tap "Do Not Disturb," and make sure it's turned off or set up according to your preferences.
  • Check ringer settings: Go to Settings > Sounds & Haptics > Ringtone. Ensure that a ringtone is selected and that the volume slider is not set to the lowest level.
  • Restart your iPhone: Sometimes, a simple restart can help resolve temporary software glitches. Try restarting your iPhone by pressing and holding the side or power button along with one of the volume buttons until the power-off slider appears. Slide it to turn off your iPhone, then turn it back on by pressing and holding the side or power button.
  • Update iOS: Ensure that your iPhone is running the latest version of iOS. Go to Settings > General > Software Update to check for any available updates. If an update is available, follow the on-screen instructions to install it.

Lock sounds is just the clicking sound the iPhone makes when pressing the power button to sleep device.

If the issue persists after trying these steps let me know,

DX-7

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 18, 2023 5:07 PM in response to sylvana145

Hi there sylvana145!

If you're experiencing sound issues on your iPhone 12 after placing it on silent, there are a few troubleshooting steps you can try to resolve the problem:

• Check the physical switch: On the left side of your iPhone, there is a physical switch called the Ring/Silent switch. Make sure it is not set to silent mode (indicated by an orange strip). Toggle the switch back and forth to ensure it's in the correct position for sound to be enabled.
  • Adjust the volume: When your iPhone is not on silent mode, try adjusting the volume using the volume buttons on the side of the device. Check if the volume level is set to an appropriate level and not muted.
  • Check Do Not Disturb settings: Do Not Disturb mode can silence calls and notifications. To check if it's enabled, go to Settings on your iPhone, tap "Do Not Disturb," and make sure it's turned off or set up according to your preferences.
  • Check ringer settings: Go to Settings > Sounds & Haptics > Ringtone. Ensure that a ringtone is selected and that the volume slider is not set to the lowest level.
  • Restart your iPhone: Sometimes, a simple restart can help resolve temporary software glitches. Try restarting your iPhone by pressing and holding the side or power button along with one of the volume buttons until the power-off slider appears. Slide it to turn off your iPhone, then turn it back on by pressing and holding the side or power button.
  • Update iOS: Ensure that your iPhone is running the latest version of iOS. Go to Settings > General > Software Update to check for any available updates. If an update is available, follow the on-screen instructions to install it.

Lock sounds is just the clicking sound the iPhone makes when pressing the power button to sleep device.

If the issue persists after trying these steps let me know,

DX-7

phone sound issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.