Last week, my 3rd Gen iPad decides that it's Activation Locked.

Last week, my 3rd Gen iPad decides that it's Activation Locked. And that I need a security passcode. Today, my iPhone 5S, with Automatic Updates turned off, decides to update and turns into a brick. I was able to reboot, and it has also decided that it's Activation Locked. And also needs a security passcode. I obviously have an Apple I.D. & password so I was able to get in, but it wiped my iPhone. Neither of these devices was Activation Locked, and neither has required a security passcode until now. Big, Giant WTF. I specifically set up these two devices (with nothing but DJI drone connection software on them) to have quick, easy, 1-handed access when I have my hands full. I'm willing to risk a security breach on these two devices. Why won't Apple leave them alone like I told them to?

iPad 2, iOS 9

Posted on May 18, 2023 4:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 19, 2023 2:13 AM

If you are the owner or the owner has shared all information with you then to open Activation Lock:- If it is Activation locked, read here --> Turn off Activation Lock - Apple Support Activation Lock for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Learn how to remove a device from a previous owner's account.

If you are not the owner and do not have the Apple ID and Password then there is no way that you can get into this iPhone unless the original owner shares the Apple ID and password with you. If you are lucky you can get into this iPhone if they (owner) accidentally remove the device from their Apple ID.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 19, 2023 2:13 AM in response to Skyman2016

If you are the owner or the owner has shared all information with you then to open Activation Lock:- If it is Activation locked, read here --> Turn off Activation Lock - Apple Support Activation Lock for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Learn how to remove a device from a previous owner's account.

If you are not the owner and do not have the Apple ID and Password then there is no way that you can get into this iPhone unless the original owner shares the Apple ID and password with you. If you are lucky you can get into this iPhone if they (owner) accidentally remove the device from their Apple ID.

Last week, my 3rd Gen iPad decides that it's Activation Locked.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.