Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Related Article: About the security content of macOS Ventura 13.4

MacOS 13.4 Ventura - External Monitor no longer detected. Worked until the update to 13.4

Congratulations, Apple, MacOS 13.4 has completely eliminated my ability to use an external display. Up until the 13.4 update, I was using an external display to extend my video across the MacBook display and the external display. No longer since 13.4.

I have now tried three different USB Type-C docking stations that I know have worked in the past, and none of them will connect to my external monitor. What is going on?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 19, 2023 6:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 31, 2023 11:36 PM

I am using Mac Studio M1 and I had the same issue after updating to the latest MacOS Ventura 13.4.

My monitor setup: 2x Benq monitors. One connected via HDMI and one via USB-C. USB-C connection is affected.

I tried this and it worked for me.

1. Disconnect the USB-C monitor from either the monitor or Mac. Keep the HDMI monitor on.
  2. Go to System Setting.
  3. Go to Display.
  4. Select any other resolutions. Return to your preferred resolution.
  5. Re-connect the USB-C to the monitor.

This worked for me.

If you only have one monitor, I guess you have to try other connection/options. I know that HDMI works in this update.

Currently known issue: When web browser is in full screen in either monitor, the other monitor is blacked out. I think this is still unresolved. I do not know how to feedback to Apple and I don't have time for that. Hope Apple can patch it up soon.

Best Regards.

IG: nehpyh

Similar questions

105 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 31, 2023 11:36 PM in response to Gregplo

I am using Mac Studio M1 and I had the same issue after updating to the latest MacOS Ventura 13.4.

My monitor setup: 2x Benq monitors. One connected via HDMI and one via USB-C. USB-C connection is affected.

I tried this and it worked for me.

1. Disconnect the USB-C monitor from either the monitor or Mac. Keep the HDMI monitor on.
  2. Go to System Setting.
  3. Go to Display.
  4. Select any other resolutions. Return to your preferred resolution.
  5. Re-connect the USB-C to the monitor.

This worked for me.

If you only have one monitor, I guess you have to try other connection/options. I know that HDMI works in this update.

Currently known issue: When web browser is in full screen in either monitor, the other monitor is blacked out. I think this is still unresolved. I do not know how to feedback to Apple and I don't have time for that. Hope Apple can patch it up soon.

Best Regards.

IG: nehpyh

Jun 19, 2023 11:55 AM in response to Gregplo

I took my new Mac Air upgraded with 13.4 to a trade show expecting to mirror and use an external monitor to playback a video I created. The external monitor worked the first time I tried this via USB-C to HDMI, but it would suddenly drop out every few seconds. I suspected a cable issue or HDCP, but changing to a brand new cable(s) did not work. I spent HOURS trying to get the thing to work. The computer could see the monitor and the monitor could see the computer. I tried every toggle and permutation in system settings (stupid iphone like crap now). Suddenly, it worked - the video played for several hours and all was well. But I had to shut down after the show ended for the day. Next day the issue reappeared right off the bat. External monitor would come on, show me the laptop desktop and then go black or green. I spent hours hair pulling and trying all the same permutations and IT.NEVER.WORKED.AGAIN!

It is OBVIOUSLY HDCP. (Is my desktop now copy protected from my own stuff? This reminds me of how Apple refused to pay for firewire and suddenly my entire library was unplayable! No, I haven't forgotten that Apple!) I have had Apple computers since 1995 - and I never hated them as much as I do now for their total incompetence and disregard for the video professionals who kept them alive before Gates injected them with enough money to keep them from sinking. BOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Jun 13, 2023 2:45 PM in response to Gregplo

So I have been having some trouble too because until the update I was able to connect my M1 MacBook Pro to 3 displays. But now Apple's website reads that you can only have one extra display:Connect one or more external displays with your Mac - Apple Support

"You can connect one or more external displays, depending on your Mac.

• For Mac computers with the Apple M1 Chip: You can connect a single external display to your Mac. Docks don’t increase the number of displays you can connect. On a Mac mini with M1 chip, you can connect a second display to the HDMI port. See the Apple Support article Mac computers with Apple silicon."

So that may be a contributing factor as well like it is for me. I hope it goes back to the way it was!

Jun 9, 2023 9:55 AM in response to Ken_dev

I actually wound up resolving this by unplugging the monitor for a few minutes and then plugging it back in. It seems like the update process put the monitor into some state that it couldn't recover from - a state that simply turning the monitor off and on again with the power button doesn't help with (the power button apparently doesn't fully reset the monitor).

The monitor resumed working as normal after being unplugged for awhile. I vaguely recall having to do something similar after a previous macOS update, so maybe this issue isn't specific to Ventura.

Jun 19, 2023 1:03 PM in response to Gregplo

I was able to get my secondary monitor working again.

My current setup is a Mac Mini M1 2020 with a TwelveSouth StayGo USB-C hub. The primary monitor is using the Mac Mini's HDMI port while the secondary monitor is plugged into the USB-C hub's HDMI port.

Not sure which combination of things helped, but here's what I tried:

Jul 31, 2023 10:26 PM in response to Gregplo

I first had an M1 Macbook Pro which worked fine connecting to, two, 49 inch Samsung Monitors. I decided to upgrade to the M2 Macbook Pro Max. It worked find for about 1.5 days, until I got the notice to upgrade to 13.5. As soon as I did, all stopped working. The only time they worked was when I would unplug and plug-in around 20 or so times. Then, I would unplug and plug into the other ports, naively, hoping they would now work. They didn't. I was on the phone with Mac support for that instance, around 4 hours. They ended up telling me to take the machine to the Apple Store. I did just that and the team at this store, as my machine was only a few days old, provided me with a new machine. Soooooo....I took the machine home and set it up. Then.....about 8 hours later, it prompted me to update the machine again. I had not yet put together the issues and the fact it was the update that was bricking my machine from connecting external monitors. Soooo...again, on a call with Apple the next morning. I was then told it was not their issue and for me to call Samsung as it HAD to be Samsung and not their glorious machine or software. Sooooo....I was tired of the games. I took the machine back and then ordered a decked out Lenovo Legion, with an NVIDIA 4080 and 32GB of ram. It should be here in a few weeks. I failed to mentioned that I tried all of my other machines and the ports worked fine. I even tried an iPad Pro, and it worked fine. I will be taking a nice little break from the Apple ecosystem. If all goes well with my Windows machine, I will see if I ever come back.

Jan 10, 2024 8:14 PM in response to JediJ1207

"You can type with one or more fingers, depending on your Mac

• For Mac computers with the Apple M1 Chip: You can type with a single finger. Docks don’t increase the number of fingers you can use. On a Mac mini with M1 chip, you can use a second finger for typing on the external display. See the Apple Support article Middle Fingers with Apple silicon."

May 19, 2023 8:36 AM in response to Gregplo

I have restarted, I have shutdown completely, I have tried three different docking stations, I have tried HDMI and Analog (VGA), I have tried putting the MacBook Pro to sleep, I have tried unplugging and plugging back in while turned on, I have tried unplugging the monitor cable while the System>Displays utility was up. The monitor wakes up for a moment, and then goes to sleep mode...it is not receiving any video from the MacBook Pro.

May 31, 2023 12:11 PM in response to Gregplo

I have a similar issue after upgrading to Ventura 13.4. I'm connecting my M2 laptop to an external display using USBC. The display works fine but the peripherals (keyboard and mouse) connected (with USB) to display stopped working after the upgrade. Before the upgrade, they all were working fine.

Anyone has an idea as to how to fix it?

Jun 22, 2023 1:04 AM in response to JediJ1207

JediJ1207 wrote:

So I have been having some trouble too because until the update I was able to connect my M1 MacBook Pro to 3 displays. But now Apple's website reads that you can only have one extra display:Connect one or more external displays with your Mac - Apple Support Mac
"You can connect one or more external displays, depending on your Mac.
For Mac computers with the Apple M1 Chip: You can connect a single external display to your Mac. Docks don’t increase the number of displays you can connect. On a Mac mini with M1 chip, you can connect a second display to the HDMI port. See the Apple Support article Mac computers with Apple silicon• ."

So that may be a contributing factor as well like it is for me. I hope it goes back to the way it was!

i was also facing same issue once i updated my Mac 1 actually am a video editor and i have to connect my system with 2 to 3 displays more.

Jun 22, 2023 12:18 AM in response to Peponi

So it finally works! Designers need to go back and reconsidering the UX/UI.

a “tiny” modal appears to ask you to connect the external monitor! I overlooked it completely, navigated away!

Either give 2 points of entry as is, or:

1. make a bigger modal and disable navigating away
  2. allow the user to give permissions to connect via the display settings.

Oct 30, 2023 11:45 AM in response to Gregplo

I was just able to troubleshoot this successfully, so in case it's helpful to others, let me document my situation. First of all, I should note that I was able to use my exact hub/dock and external monitors without issue on my MacBook Pro (M1 Pro chipset) until about 2-3 months ago. I don't know what OS X version it was running at that time, but that's when I noticed that one of my USB-A devices connected to the hub (a Leopold mechanical keyboard) could no longer be detected by my computer until I connected it (via an adapter to make it USB-C) directly to the machine. Then suddenly, my other USB-A accessory (Razer Kiyo Pro webcam) and my external displays (see below for makes and models) also were no longer detected. I have since verified the failure on another hub (Anker 777 Thunderbolt Docking Station) as well as my wife's work hub (model info not available at this time, but it was a third manufacturer).

My home setup (where problems were first discovered)

The setup that allowed me to successfully fix the problem

• Same Kensington hub and M2 Max Macbook Pro
  • LG 27BL85U-W external display (HDMI plug)
  • 1x of the Anker adapters mentioned above for the external monitor connection

I'm still not *exactly* sure what fixed it all, but the problem seemed to be that, upon plugging my hub into the Macbook Pro (via a USB-C cable), an Allow/Deny dialog was popping up saying something like "Would you like to allow this Kensington hub access to your computer?" However, on my home setup, this dialog was popping open and immediately closing itself before I could even read what it said. When I went to my local Apple Store for a Genius Bar appointment to troubleshoot it though, and used their external test monitor (the LG one I mention above), the dialog didn't auto-close for some mysterious reason. So I was able to Allow the hub on my machine and, when I got back home, it worked flawlessly with my home setup!

What is super puzzling about all of this is that I had already tested the hub at home with no monitor plugged in at all, which I assume would have triggered the Allow/Deny dialog properly, but it didn't. It's possible that the dialog won't trigger without a device attached to the hub that you're trying to connect, but I'm not sure. Ultimately, the most likely explanation to me is that my HP monitors weren't communicating through the hub in a way that Ventura/Sonoma OS X could understand to properly trigger the Allow/Deny dialog and using the LG monitor worked better.

I hope this helps those of you still struggling out there! The key takeaway: try a bunch of different external displays to see if this confirmation dialog is the real culprit. Once you Allow, you should be able to switch back to your preferred setup and have it all work again.

MacOS 13.4 Ventura - External Monitor no longer detected. Worked until the update to 13.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.