Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Downloaded items disappearing

I am on my MBP running Monterey and just downloaded Etrecheck Pro - I went to Downloads and it is there then I clicked and dragged it to my Utilities folder - and it's not there! So I did it again and this time when I had ECP in the Downloads folder tried again to move to the Utilities folder == but couldn't because the app was apparently still there = but as you can see from the photos, it's not - I checked in Applications and it is not there. But apparently although it doesn't show up in the alpha list of Utilities it is there = not sure what is going on but this is not the first time I've downloaded something and yet it disappears.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.6

Posted on May 19, 2023 11:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 19, 2023 1:37 PM

The Utilities Folder is very different from the Applications folder

I am not sure you can even Drag the Etrecheck Application into the Utilities Folder

Anytime I have downloaded Etrecheck Application , it is understood it is just like any other Third Party Application and belongs is the Applications Folder

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 19, 2023 1:37 PM in response to Victoria Herring

The Utilities Folder is very different from the Applications folder

I am not sure you can even Drag the Etrecheck Application into the Utilities Folder

Anytime I have downloaded Etrecheck Application , it is understood it is just like any other Third Party Application and belongs is the Applications Folder

May 20, 2023 1:49 AM in response to Victoria Herring

Welcome and thank you too.

As for your related question on where did the other one go ( Etrecheck Application )

Though you thought the Original was dragged to the Utilities folder, the tip off was in the image below.

The Original was indeed in the Applications Folder.

The Pop Up message requesting to Keep or Replace an already existing Etrecheck Application is confirmation of this.

If you choose Replace, it would have Over Written the Old with the Newer Version

You image below supporting my the above assertion

May 20, 2023 8:38 AM in response to BDAqua

Thank you. I already have a great app for that == HoudahSpot - and just running it asking for MacUpdater [and created within 365 days] [and redid it with only asking for MacUpdater] found the one in the App folder and the dmg file in Downloads and nothing else [other than emails]. And yet when I go to Applications it doesn't show up = it shows as in Apps in HoudahSpot but not in the list of apps

May 20, 2023 11:34 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Never used BS/Cat - am in Monterey now and the issue on this MBP and Mini [both Monterey] and neither machine had any earlier OS on it before == at least I now have ECP findable on my Mini - AND may have figured out the Macupdater issue at the same time == What happened is that even tho I opened the dmg file for it just fine and clicked and dragged "Macupdater app" to the Applications folder and then searched and found it in the App folder using Spotlight and double-clicked to open it and it set it self up as usual and is working...and in the menu bar but still hidden or missing from the App folder - but I guess as long as I have it in the menu bar that's good enough? thanks for the discussion and help.

Downloaded items disappearing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.