No password provided error in email

I have gone round and round, trying everything to be able to SEND emails from my Apple devices (Phone, iPad, iPad mini). I can receive just fine, but can't send. I get the 'no password provided' error, but nothing fixes it. I've changed passwords, but it still gives me the same error. I normally use my PC for my email (Thunderbird accounts) but will be traveling and have to rely on my iPad.

Gmail works fine.

Posted on May 20, 2023 5:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 20, 2023 10:57 AM

I’ve told you twice. Here is the third try:

• Tap Settings
  • Tap Mail
  • Tap Accounts
  • Tap on the name of the email account
  • Tap where it says Account again (at the top)
  • Tap on SMTP
  • Tap on primary server
  • Enter your username and password

If at any step you don’t see what I described post what you do see.

41 replies

May 20, 2023 9:50 AM in response to MountainGram

Deleting and re-adding your email account is sometimes the easiest way to resolve a problem with a specific Mail account. After deleting the account, perform a forced restart before re-adding the email account to your iPad.

• Delete account:

Settings > Mail > Accounts > [Your Mail Account] > Delete Account

• Force restart the iPad:

Force restart iPad - Apple Support

• Add Mail Account:

Settings > Mail > Add Account

Also be aware that some email providers now require the use of App Specific Passwords when accessing mail over IMAP or POP3. If this applies to your email account, you will need to generate a unique password for your iPad email account - that will differ from your normal Account Password. As examples - AOL, Yahoo, Google, Microsoft all use App Specific Passwords when using anything other than their own email client Apps.

If you need to generate an App Specific Password, you’ll need to log-in to your Mail Providers account management webpage - using a web browser - and generate the Password from the appropriate account security page.

More information about AOL’s App Specific Passwords can be found here:

https://help.aol.com/articles/allow-apps-that-use-less-secure-sign-in?guccounter=1

For Yahoo, more information can be found here:

https://help.yahoo.com/kb/SLN27791.html

For Gmail:

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/185833?hl=en-GB

Microsoft:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/account-billing/using-app-passwords-with-apps-that-don-t-support-two-step-verification-5896ed9b-4263-e681-128a-a6f2979a7944

May 20, 2023 9:58 AM in response to LotusPilot

I've already changed my password, deleted my account, added it back with the new password, which I changed at SiteGround, my web host and provider. I still get the same error message. I can receive emails, just not send them, and I have the same issues on my iPhone 13 Pro, my iPad, and my iPad mini. On my PC, I use Thunderbird and Gmail. Gmail works fine on the Apple devices. I noticed there is a closed thread here where many others were having the same problem. The secure password link is talking about AOL which I've never used. I'm not tech-savvy, but it seems that there needs to be a solution I can get to work.

May 22, 2024 3:39 PM in response to MountainGram

I did what you suggested and making a password and force ending all connections to the mail server has resolved it for all my iOS devices. Thanks for the useful information! Maybe one day our friend Lawrence will learn to actually help end users and not yammer the same useless info 3 times.

Have a great week! Thanks again for the help!

Feb 12, 2024 9:16 AM in response to MountainGram

I have the same problem on my new iPad (9). It will allow me to set up any email except OTHER. Like MountainGram, I am trying to enter an email associated with my personal domain. I have repeatedly followed the steps I knew to do, that you have indicated, and similar instructions. Even if I enter my password at each possible step, even removing and retyping the password on the final screen, it gives the same error message: "No password provided for "xxxxx". Please go to Mail Account Setting and enter a password. It is in Mail Account Settings. You can see the password is in there, and yet the iPad says it isn't there. Repeating the same instructions three times that don't work for a personal domain really isn't helpful.

Aug 1, 2023 7:35 AM in response to ladonna293

ladonna293 wrote:

I am unable to receive emails on my iPhone 11 Pro. The error message states “Account error: Comcast. Details…Cannot get mail. Comcast is currently unavailable. I have followed instructions given on different sites. How can I find out what my password is? I have had this account for many years and the password could be anything.

That message implies that Comcast’s server is down. There is nothing you can do about that. Call their tech support and ask. The password may be in the keychain app; go to Settings/Passwords and see if it is there. But more likely you can’t do anything until they fix their system.

There is one possibility that might be on your end; if you are using VPN turn it off, delete the VPN app and delete the VPN profile.

Apr 21, 2024 9:28 AM in response to MountainGram

MountainGram wrote:

Yes, I spent a long time on chat and the phone with SiteGround yesterday and they told me that what I filled out on the screenshot is correct, so that's been done. I went back to the iPad and filled in all the fields again, and now I can neither send nor receive.

Deleting and re-adding your email account is sometimes the easiest way to resolve a problem with a specific Mail account. After deleting the account, perform a forced restart before re-adding the email account to your iPad.

• Delete account:

Settings > Mail > Accounts > [Your Mail Account] > Delete Account

• Force restart the iPad:

Force restart iPad - Apple Support

• Add Mail Account:

Settings > Mail > Add Account

Apr 20, 2024 11:47 AM in response to CalhounDj

CalhounDj wrote:

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/90f1fe0c-3b6e-40b2-857f-d1ed948ac87d

[Edited by Moderator]

You will need to enter the password for both the incoming mail server and the outgoing mail server. The password you enter in both of these locations is the same and is also the same password you would use when you sign into your account at www.xfinity.com.

No password provided error in email

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.