Can't empty Trash from the Dock after Ventura 13.4 update

After applying the Ventura 13.4 update, Trash will not empty from the dock. I can open the Trash, see a list of the items in the Trash, and click "Empty" to empty the trash. Trash can also be emptied via the Terminal using the "sudo rm -R" command. (I can't prove these are causally linked, but the timing is very suspicious.)

I've booted into recovery mode and run Disk Utility First Aid. It identified errors in some snapshots, and claimed to repair an error in the file system. But repeated execution of First Aid continued to identify the same problem. This is the First Aid log:

Checking snapshot 8 of 8 (com.apple.TimeMachine.2023-05-20-071445.local)

warning: inode (id 7000554): Resource Fork xattr is missing for compressed file

warning: inode (id 7000584): Resource Fork xattr is missing for compressed file

warning: inode (id 13946464): Resource Fork xattr is missing for compressed file

Checking the document ID tree.

Checking the fsroot tree.

warning: inode (id 7000554): Resource Fork xattr is missing for compressed file

warning: inode (id 7000584): Resource Fork xattr is missing for compressed file

warning: inode (id 13946464): Resource Fork xattr is missing for compressed file

Checking the extent ref tree.

Checking the file key rolling tree.

Verifying volume object map space.

The volume /dev/rdisk3s5 was found to be corrupt and needs to be repaired.

Verifying allocated space.

Performing deferred repairs.

The volume /dev/rdisk3s5 appears to be OK.

File system check exit code is 0.

Restoring the original state found as mounted.

Operation successful.

The block of messages about the snapshot are repeated for all snapshots.

Are there any recommendations for repairing this short of a clean install from a backup?

Thanks, in advance.

---

2019 M1 MacBook Air; 16 GB memory; 1 TB storage.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 13.4

Posted on May 20, 2023 6:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 20, 2023 7:14 AM

James Tummins wrote:

After applying the Ventura 13.4 update, Trash will not empty from the dock. I can open the Trash, see a list of the items in the Trash, and click "Empty" to empty the trash. Trash can also be emptied via the Terminal using the "sudo rm -R" command.

---

To be proactive you can file a bug report /submit your Apple Feedback here: Product Feedback - Apple

—A SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 20, 2023 7:14 AM in response to James Tummins

James Tummins wrote:

After applying the Ventura 13.4 update, Trash will not empty from the dock. I can open the Trash, see a list of the items in the Trash, and click "Empty" to empty the trash. Trash can also be emptied via the Terminal using the "sudo rm -R" command.

---

To be proactive you can file a bug report /submit your Apple Feedback here: Product Feedback - Apple

—A SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies

May 20, 2023 12:07 PM in response to leroydouglas

leroydouglas wrote:

A SafeBoot seems to have fixed the problem, though it's a bit unnerving that I don't know why.

• I booted in Safe Boot and the trash emptied as expected.
  • I restarted normally, put some items in the trash, and it again emptied normally.

While I was in Safe Boot, I ran Disk First Aid again, and it came up clean this time.

All's well that ends well. (But I sure wish I knew why.)

Thanks, leroydouglas.

--Jim

Jan 26, 2024 11:15 AM in response to James Tummins

Even when I bought my mac mini I got pain to use "empty the trash", even with all updates. Still the same, I do it, it's stuck like for ever, and I need to do cancel, and then it works, it's clearly a glitch, but never have never fixed it.

So in 1990, it was to work awesome, but in 2024, just for a trash we meet problems wth ?

Apple team seem to regressing

Can't empty Trash from the Dock after Ventura 13.4 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.