Can I send text messages from my MacBook Air if I don't have an iPhone?

so i don't have an iPhone but I have Apple ID & iCloud & a Macbook Air. i want to send text messages from the Mac without linking it to a iPhone. will this work?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 13.3

Posted on May 20, 2023 9:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 20, 2023 9:54 AM

You can use iMessage to send and receive messages using your Apple ID with other Apple users. Open the Messages app and select Messages > Settings > iMessage to make sure it is set up. Other iMessage users will be able to send you messages using your Apple ID.

You will not be able to send/receive SMS messages without an iPhone, since this is a phone carrier service and requires a phone number to send and receive.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 20, 2023 9:54 AM in response to mafyu

You can use iMessage to send and receive messages using your Apple ID with other Apple users. Open the Messages app and select Messages > Settings > iMessage to make sure it is set up. Other iMessage users will be able to send you messages using your Apple ID.

You will not be able to send/receive SMS messages without an iPhone, since this is a phone carrier service and requires a phone number to send and receive.

Can I send text messages from my MacBook Air if I don't have an iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.