yahoo mail failed to authenticate

trying to setup yahoo mail account in the mail app on my apple laptop

after entering username and password i get "yahoo mail failed to authenticate" error

the app was working fine with this yahoo account until connection problems made me delete the account and reinstall it.

Earlier Mac models

Posted on May 21, 2023 7:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 9, 2023 10:20 AM

I found a solution for this.

• Delete your Yahoo! account from Internet Accounts.

• Go to your Yahoo! account in your browser.

• Click on your account on the top right.

• Click Security.

• Click Generate and manage app passwords.

• Enter "Mail" when prompted for an App.

• Copy the password Yahoo creates.

• On your Mac, go to System Preferences > Internet Accounts.

• Instead of clicking Yahoo!, click Add Other Account.

• Click @ Mail account.

• Enter your Yahoo! email address and paste the app password you just generated on the Yahoo! website.

This worked for me and I now have my Yahoo! emails actively coming into the Mail app on my Mac.

160 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 9, 2023 10:20 AM in response to TikiVerdiales

I found a solution for this.

• Delete your Yahoo! account from Internet Accounts.

• Go to your Yahoo! account in your browser.

• Click on your account on the top right.

• Click Security.

• Click Generate and manage app passwords.

• Enter "Mail" when prompted for an App.

• Copy the password Yahoo creates.

• On your Mac, go to System Preferences > Internet Accounts.

• Instead of clicking Yahoo!, click Add Other Account.

• Click @ Mail account.

• Enter your Yahoo! email address and paste the app password you just generated on the Yahoo! website.

This worked for me and I now have my Yahoo! emails actively coming into the Mail app on my Mac.

Feb 6, 2024 12:55 AM in response to TikiVerdiales

Hi tekkaman65535

I've been trawling the internet to find a solution to my macbook mail app keep saying yahoo mail failed to authenticate and finally came across your solution. However, I'm now wondering whether you will actually see my message as I don't know if you will be notified of my question, but it's worth a try for me as it is totally impossible to speak to Yahoo grrrrrrr! I have tried to follow your advice, but I've failed at the first hurdle as I can't even delete the yahoo account. I get to the account page through preferences, not settings, so I must have a different version to you, but it won't let me delete the account. So I wondered if you might be able to throw any further light on my plight ha! Thanks in advance....

Jul 6, 2023 6:44 PM in response to TikiVerdiales

I just had this same issue and finally was able to log in....what I did was

-remove my existing yahoo account from the Mail app using the minus (-) symbol at the bottom of the window

-quit the Mail app completely

-went to yahoo via web browser as another person said and generated a third party app password

-re-open mail and re-add account but instead of choosing yahoo icon choose add other @ account...

-then use the third party generated password in that window

that logged me in right away. hope this helps y'all.

Edit: also running Catalina 10.15.7

May 21, 2023 7:45 AM in response to TikiVerdiales

Mac's Mail App is not as modern as iOS's Mail app, Many eMail providers now require a separate App Password different from your eMail password…

Yahoo has gone to this too...

https://help.yahoo.com/kb/access-yahoo-mail-third-party-apps-sln15241.html

Yahoo App password…

Generate and manage third-party app passwords

Some older, third-party email apps (that do not use our Yahoo branded sign in page) require you to enter a single password for login credentials. To access your Yahoo Mail account on these apps, you'll need to generate and use an app password. An app password is a long, randomly generated code that gives a non-Yahoo app permission to access your Yahoo account. You’ll only need to provide this code once to sign in to your third-party email app.

https://help.yahoo.com/kb/access-yahoo-mail-third-party-apps-sln15241.html

Oct 19, 2023 4:18 PM in response to luisochoam

Hi there, you generally get better/quicker help by starting your own tread, but see if this helps...

Mac's Mail App is not as modern as iOS's Mail app, Many eMail providers now require a separate App Password different from your eMail password…

SoloImac’s solution…

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/254692276?answerId=259674654022#259674654022

Then you may need Ways to securely access AOL Mail…

https://help.aol.com/articles/allow-apps-that-use-less-secure-sign-in

Oct 9, 2023 10:07 PM in response to TikiVerdiales

Relax, nothing got broken, its been taken care of. Just follow the below instruction:

Some older, third-party email apps like MacOs Mail require you to enter a single password for login credentials. To

access your Yahoo Mail account on these apps, you'll need to generate and use an app password. Please do write "

MacOs Mail" when it asks for which "Third Party App" you gonna use this password for? It will show you the

password, copy the shown password. Go back back MacOs Mail, Click on "add account" and select "other mail

account". Write down your yahoo account number and on the password section paste the copied password from

yahoo page. Please select option 1 from below or click the link below and follow the below instruction. Easy pizzy.

https://login.yahoo.com/myaccount/security/?.lang=en-US&.intl=us&.src=yhelp&.scrumb=HZ7H2rW97jC

Generate an app password

1. Sign in to your Yahoo Account Security page.
  2. Click Generate app password or Generate and manage app passwords.
  3. Enter your app's name in the text field.
  4. Click Generate password.
  5. Follow the instructions below the app password.
  6. Click Done.

Use this app password and your email address to sign in to your email app.

Jul 5, 2023 1:54 PM in response to TikiVerdiales

When I migrated from PC to the new Mac, my Yahoo! Mail initially worked. At least I could receive, but didn’t check the send. The minute I went and added my Hotmail account things changed. I deleted the yahoo account and decided to start over and that’s when the authentication issue began with yahoo. Not sure this entirely answers your question but it should be possible.

Jun 3, 2023 9:40 AM in response to TikiVerdiales

Having the same issue. I haven't gotten onto my email on my mac in quite sometime. It's usually used for some of the kids' homeschool things they have to do. So I needed to log onto my mac's email for something that would be easier to download from here. I couldn't remember my password (good at that), so I set up a new one, and now it won't show me anything and says failed to authenticate. I will say it's kinda nice to see others having this problem, so hopefully it's on their end and it'll get fixed.

Jul 3, 2023 12:10 PM in response to motherscoffe

Upgrading MacOS worked for me!

Eventually I had no choice but to attempt a system upgrade for that old imac. In fact, it worked like a charm. No more problems with yahoo mail. I went up to 10.12, Monterey, i.e. one before the most current. I highly recommend if you are in this situation to spend a week listing EVERY password and service you did or might use, and making sure you have some kind of backup password record, and THEN do the upgrade.

You MUST have:

your apple ID and password, as well as your

computer admininstrator's password.

email passwords.

Without those, you would be in a world of trouble. I personally did not seem to have any problems with browsers remembering most other passwords. However, services you don't usually think about can suddenly ask for a new password because of any kind of change (think TV services, travel agents, etc. etc.). And if THEY make the slightest change to their web pages, your browser won't properly remember these passwords.

Good luck,

-TPC

yahoo mail failed to authenticate

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.